What would you change in your career path...

kainoa

Hi everyone,

I always ask myself this question from time to time and decided to throw it out in the forums. I can imagine that in our high school or even college days, that the lot of us didnt imagine we'd be doing what we are at the present. I know i didnt (close though). Anyways, hindsight being 20/20, i was just curious to know if you could do anything different in your career, what would it be? I mean, i'm sure that the all of us absolutely love what we do, and wouldn't imagine doing anything else; but there's always something in the past that you would've changed or did differently etc. Forgive me if the question seems a bit weird, but i'm just curious. Cheers!

A midlife crisis at THAT age ? Well i like to sit on a beach with 50 nice girls around and an expert team that finds new ways for the girls to please me. cool2.gif

Other than that i more like to look into the future to find out what i like to do more or which way to go next, thats what is under my control. Mostly.

Keep it simple

Crisis? Hardly. Although I agree with you to an extent about concerning yourself only with the future. But, reflecting on the past is only a natural (and important) fact of life. Dwelling on it, on the other hand, can be detrimental. I am in no way in a crisis. The point of my topic is that the things that i might have done differently in the past can/will affect my decisions in the future. Thus, because most of us are at different stages of our lives, hearing what others might have done differently in their careers might also affect my future decisions.

hi :)

i thought about this every now and then too.

i definately like ingo's dreaming, but hey, we all know it'll never happen.

i originally wanted to be a graphics designer, but my careers master in school advised me do to architecture as it was easier and more common to find employment with (i'd never even heard of architecture at that age! )

but i'd love to be either a jet fighter pilot or even an airline pilot!

Hell, I'll settle for 5 girls : )!

But really, I think about this often...I love my education in architecture, both school (UF and UCLA) were exceptional, but the amount of cash it cost was a lot. 7 years and I won't even be building things. So no regrets (although choosing the correct numbers for the $250 million lotto on Xmas would have been pretty nice!), just frustration, etc. But it's a new year, time to focus on the future again.

About 3-4 years ago I was given the chance to train in the WAIS (state institute of sport) road cycling squad. I decided not to, as I had felt studying would be more important and wanted to get that done first. Now I'm still studying, have no love for the architecture profession, but still a strong love for architecture. When I was working in the office drafting toilet details and paving layouts I would often think what life would have been like if I had taken the spot in the squad.

Now that I've left the office and will be back to full time study in March I'm thinking less of the past and more on the future. I know when I graduate and go back into an office I'll start thinking again of all the 'what could have beens'