Commercial Exterior - Problems

videep

Hello Everyone,

I have recently been working on an exterior of a commercial complex.

I would like to make this look realistic.

the problems that i am facing are:

1. The shops are not looking good as there is no depth found; i have placed an image plane with vray light material but confused about creating depth.

2. The overall look and feel is not coming out to be realistic, please suggest me what should be added more to make it look more real.

Simple lighting technique is used with a direct light and no HDRI.

Please do reply.

Thankyou in advance.

Half of your image seems to be sidewalk. I would get in close or look up more.

Then you could try changing the sun angle. Maybe different shadows direction will help.

maybe more of a setting sun or off to one side more.

I dont know vray so I cant comment on that.

More decals or pictures for shop windows would be a good idea as the repetition is not helping also the need of you to move in closer and lower sun angle (altitude) to reduce shadow length and allow more light in. The direction(Azimuth) of the sun I believe is OK.

OK well, I have a few suggestions for you... for what its worth. The first thing I would want to establish is the purpose of the image. If its to be used for marketing purposes then you can get away with being a little more flamboyant and suggestive with your image, and therefore would probably get away fine with using shop bitmaps in your windows. If its supposed to be a more technical image, I would be inclined to model the shop interior... not every bit of detail but just roughly, to give a better idea of the transparency of the floors and to see sillouettes of the shops contents.

However as you have gone down the bitmap route what I would suggest first is that you use better shop bitmaps. You can get some from cgtextures.com. Consider possibly making them a light-emitting material so they stay reasonably bright and arent subject to being unnaturally dark when in shade. To finish them off, stick a pane of glass in front of them all. This will pick up the reflections of your environment and give you a more realistic shopfront look.... if you dont already have an environment in then i would put one in, or at least make reflection planes behind your camera that have been mapped with photos etc.

Finally, give the image a decent background. It will never look realistic if the context isnt believable.

Good luck