World Cup

camby

Any football fans in here? What do you think of the action so far?

Being from the US I rather enjoyed the match against Portugal. biggrin2.gif The England match I've heard was exciting as well today. What are your predictions for Group Winners?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... Belgium is not great at the moment... Somehow we are not winners... Not suprisingly if you know our teamspirit... Before a game players and trainers always have lots of theories... but afterwards it was never to be... but they've allways played a good game they tell themselves!

I think you did not play good unless you won, but hey... who am I?

Really... the Belgians are crap in football... They don't play to win... they go for the minimum... allways... the commentators allways calculate what's the least points they should have to continue... awfull... really... very disappointing... and they never make it either... but everything was just fine afterwards... but they didn't win... but hey... is that the goal of the game?

But I like ice-hockey better... I used to be a great fan of the Calgary Flames ;) Couldn't stand the Oilers... but that was in my teenies...

Actually, I don't follow sports...

nisus

MÉXICO!!!!

Yes, we got pasion for the sport man!. Who's Going to win?.....ummmmmm.... I would like to see a latinoamerican country taking the world cup....

In the fight: Germany, Italy, Brazil.... and guess what? I would like to see Camerun getting to the semi-finals. Mexico, we'll hear from my guys, you'll see!!! Good luck biggrin2.gif

Yes Nisus, indeed we did!

We're always lucky to get to the final tournament :)

It's allways the last match that saves us and gives us the right to play the world cup.

I liked Italy in their first match, but today they lost I heard, didn't see it thou ... (goddamn exams :mad: )

I just hope France not being qualified for the next round biggrin2.gif

hehehe. personally i couldnt give a gnat's chuff about football, which is lucky considering the quality of the national welsh side ;)

altho i am compelled to watch the matches on tv strangely.

even tho im british being a true welshman i cant bring myself to follow england. sorry matt - lol

interesting responses...so much passion, well except for strat, lol :)

che: mexico does look good. i can see them going far in the tourney

england is always a sure-thing. so much skill, so much speed.

south korea could be it this year. they look impressive in the first round and they have the home crowd behind them.

luckily france will be heading back home, where they will whine and eat cheese! biggrin2.gif

MÉXICO!!!!!

We did it again! Italy, here we come!

Group G

Overview | News | Analysis

Team--MP--W---D---L---GF--GA--Pts

-MEX--2---2---0---0---3---1---6

-ITA--2---1---0---1---3---2---3

-CRO--2---1---0---1---2---2---3

-ECU--2---0---0---2---1---4---0

Beleaguered Italy in the eye of the Mexican storm.

Italy were on Monday were put on typhoon-alert for Thursday's World Cup Group G barnstormer with Mexico in Oita that could blow them all the way back to Rome.

[ June 10, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

:cool: MÉXICO!!!

"Mexico and Italy both confirmed their presence in the second round with a hard-fought draw in Oita, Japan, as a goal five minutes from time by Alessandro Del Piero dramatically equalised Jared Borgetti’s tremendous first half header".

biggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gif

Delfoz,

Mexico's next match is USA biggrin2.gif (June 17 20:30). Then they'll probably play against Germany (Germany is going to play against Paraguay). Let's keep our Aztec souls shining! Viva Mexico cabrones! :p

Im afraid I have to agree with CHE/Delfoz, Mexico is looking good at this point in the tournament and the US is in deep trouble. I would love to see the red,white,blue move on, but they have fizzled since the upset of Portugal. :o

USA won. :( 1.- They played a very practical game (founding the goal twice) :rolleyes: . 2.- They played a real good defence.

Mexico lost. 1.- Their defence was too slow. 3- They respected too much USA's defence. 3.- I guess this match will always bring bad feeling among the mexican players. This leading to a more mental and physical game. I appologize for all the anti-futball that my team brought to the game :mad: . Good luck to USA biggrin2.gif on their next match,Germany, I'll being supporting them.

On the other hand, Brazil has became my team. biggrin2.gif

[ June 17, 2002, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: CHE ]

Javier Aguirre (MEX coach):

On today's loss against the USA): We had good possession of the ball for 90 minutes and moved at a quick pace but we didn't manage to get good results. We were trying to have control ... grab possession of the ball, then the referee would make a decision that made the game difficult.

(On what he regarded as a missed call by the referee): A US player (John O BRIEN) hit the ball with his hand and everyone saw it on the big screen but the referee didn't catch it. But since football is judged by humans, it can happen.

(On Mexico's loss to the USA in the second round): In the first round, we did well. Italy, Ecuador, and Croatia were all teams who were eager to play Mexico. With the United States, it was more difficult. The US had tremendous speed and they were lucky to get the first goal.

(On his overall assessment of Mexico's performance at the 2002 FIFA World Cup): We wanted to do better than the last two World Cups (1994 and 1998). I'm not sure what happened but there seem to be many complicated reasons why we couldn't advance after the second phase. :(