Onyxtree tutorials.

Alya

Hi, everybody! I'm new here and I'm looking for some Onyxtree tutorial, because we had a lot of problems with that plugin.

Well, if anybody knows another trees and plants tutorial that runs better I'll be very happy with it.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

What exactly are y'all looking for a tutorial to tell you that the manual doesn't? I found the Onyx system quite well documented (for third-party software) and had them up in running in an hour. You might check those docs over if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Shaun

• 5 months later...

A tutorial on how these guys achieve their onyx tree look would be most helpful. http://www.icubeviz.com/ I find both the documentation and the software way complicated. I remember busting my brains trying to figure out how one of the sliders work, I think its the one for the plate leaves resolution. Using the same plug-in I find people making totally realistic trees (the billion poly forest on chaos forums), or totally impressive trees like iCube, or totally cg looking trees like most of the people. I think a tutoral, or some tips would be most welcome.

• 7 months later...

I see some Onyx shrubs and trees that look realistic, but then I see some that look horrible. Is this plug-in that hard to use? I looked at the Onyx Gallery and some of those images looked great, but then the vegetation on some of the other images looked like a 2D maps.

The real trick in getting Onyx to look good is in the materials. Creating a nice 3D tree structure takes all of 20-30 seconds, even if you want to add wind. The materials are what make the difference. A one page tutorial if written properly would be all you need...unfortunately the manual is pretty convoluted and lengthy.

Are you able to select just the leaves and add a bitmap to them and then do the same for the trunk and so on? I thought the program was able to import what ever tree or flower was created into vray without needing to "rework" it. That would be a pain to have to apply maps to leaves, branches and trunks everytime you create a new tree. It would be even worse with flowers. Maybe I'm not understanding the plug-in fully.

Are you able to select just the leaves and add a bitmap to them and then do the same for the trunk and so on? I thought the program was able to import what ever tree or flower was created into vray without needing to "rework" it. That would be a pain to have to apply maps to leaves, branches and trunks everytime you create a new tree. It would be even worse with flowers. Maybe I'm not understanding the plug-in fully.

It's simple. Just add maps to the subobject materials (vegetation is all one object). Different vegetation will have a different arrangement of material IDs, but it only takes a second to load maps from a mat library. Honestly, you shouldn't be in the habit of creating all new vegetation over and over again for each project anyway. For example, I use the same 3 or 4 coconut palm trees over and over again, rather than creating a whole new set from scratch. Just my opinion.

Hi Brian,

do you think getting the tree storm plugin is worth it? I use max/vray and will most likely use proxies. what do you recomend I get? should I just go for the super bundle?

sorry to get a little off topic but its related to onyxtree..

thanks

i would absolutely get storm whether you get the whole package or not. with proxies you can't animate the vegetation, but really if you want animated vegetation, you really only need to show it in a limited number of foreground objects (especially when you get the camera movements just right). so if you have say 100 3d trees total, you could proxy about 90 of them (which wont increase file size or consume much ram) and you could leave 10 animated trees as onyx objects. that few won't hurt your resources much.

• 1 year later...

I'd agree about a tutorial, or a step-by-step on what is most important and in what order. I agree it's easy to open a tree definition and save a 3DS. But if you want to start from scratch, it can be daunting. Recently, we have been needing some more mature trees, but the majority of broadleaf definitions are 3-4m high. I'd like them more in the 18m range. There is no simple "maturity" slider, so you have to adjust every parameter to make it happen.

See where I'm going?

• 3 months later...

Might be off-topic, but since we're talking about proxies and stuff:

Mental Ray Proxies

==================

Make sure you use BSP2 in the Render settings.

I used the proxies last week for a 6000x300 render of a couple of thousand batteries (around 63 million polygons) and the RAM usage didn't go above 500MB.

Rendering -> Render Setup -> Renderer (tab) -> Rendering Algorithms -> Ray Tracing -> Raytrace Accelleration

[x] Enable

Method: BSP2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...