CGA banner links?

STRAT

Jeff, if we click on the cga advertising banner links on the various pages do you make money per click like in some other forums?

if so, is it worth us clicking away all the time to make sure the readies keep flowing?

• Administrators

Advertising is the ONLY thing that keep the site running. While there is a large benefit to just having their name on the site, the only way they can measure the success of a campaign is by the number of clicks they receive on their banners. I am not paid by click, but rather by the month with varying rates depending upon the position they choose. Soooo...every click means a better performing campaign which equals advertsiers that want to continue their campaigns. It is very important that you visit the adertisers sites. Important for everyone if you want to see the site carrry on and grow. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Jeff,

What about that cgarchitect-window when we click in a newsthread? I normally close that as I prefer to see the link where I am, but really what is the best way to get your click-count up?

How does that work?

rgds

nisus

(Beware, I'm Back!)

• Administrators

Hey Nisus,

Yes I added that so that I could get the ad serving up. On CGA2 I'll clean it up a bit, but it does help us out and allows me to add one more sponsor each month.

As an aside I'm happy to report that we are doing really well and are booked solid until Jan 04. :) Seems we are finally on the road map

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hey Nisus,

Not quite sure I understand your question, but ad work on a percentage basis to determine performance. Well at least on paper anyway.

Each time a banner is displayed that counts as one impression. Each time someone clicks a banner that counts as one click. If a company's banner show up 100 times and gets 1 click then the CTR (Click through ratio) is 1%. In most industries you will never see much more than a 1% CTR. CGA averages 0.25-1% in most cases. We charge a flat monthly fee regardless of the banner performance however the CTR is what most advertisers will use to determine if they need to change the banner, try in a different month, or just change venues altogether.

Did that answer your question?

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff, you may have to look at the code of your banner, because some webpages doesn't work correct with your banner ..click images (beside the fact that you change the appearance of a webpage, which always is critical to me)

I would like to see a popup on CGarchitect, because my googlebar can kill it and i could have a clean look at the webpage aund url.

When i click on an image on that spage i get the IE errorpage with this url: javascript:CenteredWindow('Arad_Burden_1.html','popup','550','650')

When i close your frame, then everything works as expected. A window with the image pops up.

I had similar problems some weeks ago with a different newslink from CGA.

You might want to use popup windows, instead of a frame, since it's a much cleaner code and can be filtered with any webwasher.

As metioned before, there is also a serious legal issue with foreign frames on Webpages which not belongs to you.

Hi Jeff,

Very interesting, but I see you did not get my point/unnerstand my question.

I'll rephrase:

When I click on a news item, a new window will open. On top of this new window is a cga-banner (with a close this frame button) and underneath is the news item displayed.

I just want to know if it makes any difference on the total ad-counter when I leave open this frame or not. Is it clear now?

rgds

nisus

• Administrators
Originally posted by ingo:

Just curious, isn't this illegal, to open a link with your banner above ? So people think this is a part of your site, same is with deep linking.

Not that I'm aware of. There is not much that is illegal about the internet. Deep linking rules are the dumbest thing I've seen. There are very few sites that don't like it and those that do I usually ignore. If they want their site plugged then I link to the section that is newsworthy. If they complain I just remove the news altogether. As an aside, I've never had anyone complain about getting linked to. ;)

Originally posted by seismograph:

well...

Yes *g*

to be honest i'm not the right client for RPC, marlin stuff or what was that tree stuff? I don't need it so why watching it. ..i create my own textures and models.. no need to be penetrated again and again by always the same banner.

I'm a little confused as to your point? Granted, these libraries aren't "for you" but at least as a courtesy to Jeff for creating such a great site, stop whining. Honestly, compared with some of the other sites I go to (like espn.com where you're flooded with popups), cga is a welcome refuge. Sure, I don't use 99.9 percent of those products, but as a whole, I've never considered whether or not I should look at this site cause the adds were prevalent...can't have it both ways...