Sketchup! Decent imported geometry

Rick Eloy

Still talking about the NPR subject, I was doing some stuff trying to import geometry into Sketchup 2 BUT I couldn't get a decent result! All the geometry imported from Max comes with thousands and thousands of faces, making it very difficult to get a good result for a final render with Sketchup. Does anyone know how to import things the way they actually are?

[]

Rick

trying to import geometry into Sketchup 2...All the geometry imported from Max comes with thousands and thousands of faces..Does anyone know how to import things the way they actually are?
Maybe that's how they really are in MAX. If you save to either a DXF or 3DS you can bring the file into an app with a 'find quads' function. I use AccuTrans3D (shareware) for this, but there are others.

Hi Rick

Like EB says, check ur max mesh first before importing.

i use sketch-up (great application btw) and import meshes from max into it via dxf (or 3ds) format. but it is worth 'cleaning up' or optomising the mesh first. sketch up can be quite slow or cumbersome with heavy meshes.

also try the dwg format, that also fits snuggly with sketchup.

Tks, guys!

I found that after cleaning up the mesh, all I have to do is, when importing it into Sketchup is to activate the "Merge Coplanar Meshes" option in the import window. That solved the problem.

And, yes, it gets really slow with complicated meshes... orangeno

Thanks!

[]

Rick

i'm going to start a sketch-up thread real soon.

we use it extensively in our work to great effect.

It's marvelous for 'non 3d' cad users - extremely simple to create 3d models from plans with absolutely no previous 3d knowlege needed. you can become pretty competant with it within a day or 2.

i dont use it that much, but the 2d cad technitians in our office love it. It's great for NPR, mass modelling or basic fast 3d representation.

Originally posted by STRAT:

i'm going to start a sketch-up thread real soon.

Great idea, Strat!

I think it's really worth the shot. I played with it for a couple of hours and noticed it is really easy and simple. And, of course, the NPR effect is always a plus.

It will be a very welcome addition to the forum!

[]

Rick

• 6 months later...

Ernest is correct. What you see in SketchUp is the faces that are present in your MAX meshes. SketchUp differs, in that, it's a surface modeler, and each face you create is the equivalent of one face in Max, bounded by whatever geometry you enclose it with. You might say SketchUp is a super-low polygon modeler, in a sense. Anything imported from another modeler is going to show every single facet or face in the original model, and these can get quite cumbersome to work with. For best results (SketchUp 3.0), try using the smooth feature.

Gary

Originally posted by Jim Kessler:

I have been using SU extensively recntly. Great simple mass studies.

You can do so much more with SketchUp than just simple massing models, Jim. I'm using it for the entire design process, myself, with the exception of construction documents, which I do in Autocad.

Gary

• 1 year later...

Just keep in mind guys sketchUp is for "simple" & quick study of mass & shadows. Though I use it extensively, I minimize putting too much details in it because it slows the panning, zooming etc(& you have to turn off most of your layers). Overall its a great software.