Which is faster?

archkre

Is there any serious study comparing the speed of Frender,Vray,Brazil,

etc.,taking as a sample the same model and getting a very similar quality for Architectural purposes?

Because in the fR forum, Frender is the best, in Vray the same and so on!

Thank you

I have FinalRender, Brazil and the free version of Vray. After a lot of of testing the three products for architectural visualisation I have decided that Brazil is the renderer for me speed wise and quality wise.

Vray was a close 2nd but I could never get it to render quite as fast as Brazil. Finalrender can be fast but it is not fully multi-threaded and the artifacts can be a nightmare! I think finalrender is also restricted by memory much more than the other two, saying that, Finalrender stage 1 is looking very nice and when it is released I bet it's going to be king of the renderers (for a while).

in my experience vray is the fastest for outdoor sun/skylight scenes.

brazil is very slow for this because its skylight can't cast photons like mental ray does.

it also can be a bitch so setup. vray is a no-brainer.

vray seems to use some kind of "GI-hack". it has a really fast and almost artifact free GI, but it doesn't look as good as brazil, mental ray and finalrender lighting.

finalrender has the greatest potential IMO, but artefacts are a problem here. every scene must be fixed with photoshop because there ALWAYS are some kind of strange splotches in corners. the irritating thing with fr is that increasing the quality settings makes things even worse sometimes. this is never the case with brazil.

i don't have much experience with finalrender, but i think it's easier to use than brazil and mental ray, even if the dialog layout is horrible and full of useless parameters. reading the manual is a must here.

personally i'm looking forward to finalrender stage-1.

until then i'm using the max5 radiosity and vray free.

that's only my opinion but IMHO :

1. vray - fast, quality average

2. final render - fast, hard to setup, hundreds of options to be setup, quality very good

3. brazil - slow, easy to set up, quality very good, extremally slow during interiors rendering (when the sun is shining through windows, and in other scenes where light have to be bounced several times )

I believe the question posted was has anyone done a serious comparison in speed between the more popular 3rd party renderers. That's a very good question. And I believe the answer is no, at least not that I am aware of. Of course any comparison like that would have to include commentary on quality and you would have to do an extensive breakdown of all the elements (GI, raytracing, caustic effects, etc.)

It sounds like a great job for Christopher Nichols. I believe that is his primary job function to research and make evaluations on graphic software. Although I already know what his answer will be (V-Ray). But I too would like to see a scene by scene breakdown/comparison in both speed and quality. Do you hear us Chris!

Originally posted by ::mrcs:::

3. brazil - slow, easy to set up, quality very good, extremally slow during interiors rendering (when the sun is shining through windows, and in other scenes where light have to be bounced several times )

this is true when using brazil in "easy mode"

using photon mapping for GI increases speed dramatically (not available in the public beta), BUT it's not easy to handle (tweaking hell).

[ December 05, 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: plastic ]

hello

I'm a bit new here (and have been Mac based until now) so excuse if I'm not too familiar with the renderers being mentioned. I would like your opinions then regarding Electric Image Universe V5 (recentley out). Perhaps it might not have the the degree of accuracy with regard to lighting as Brazil, Lightscape and such (radiosity has only recently been added and from what I gather is still a bit "raw"). Though when I was making my intial decison I was somewhat swayed by it's reputation as the "fastest renderer in the business". Most of the 3D animation review stuff seems to back this up. It is capable of top quality results, as evidentely are many of the other packages. One draw back is that it isn't realy too geared up to architectural viz. Though it does offer seemingly a very good range of features: network rendering, various special FX things, an ACIS based modeller (which may or may not be useful), extensive texture editing and a whole load of other generally "pro" level tricks and tools. It was vary reasonably priced I felt, around $1300 all in. I haven't quite mastered it yet but am making reasonable progress. Now that I've got it, I'm going to have to stick with it for at least some while. Any comments on what I might be missing, compared to the other apps? I'd be interested in finding out how you feel it shapes up compared to the other apps that are evidently more widely used by the other members of the forum. I'm more than happy with it so far. Any thoughts

http://www.universe3d.com/

cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest guardian256

I'm at a loss

I've been trying out VRay / Brazil and fR and they all seem to be a total pain in the arse.

I've always faked GI up til now and the irony is I can get an image near the quailty of real GI with hundreds of lights and it will render faster then what I've been able to achieve with GI so far.

The biggest problem I find are the manuals and tutorials. None of these companies have bothered to do a tutorial on rendering approach ie not what this does or that but how to go about doing things.

I'm personally leaning towards Brazil but I'm having a nightmare with it. I got a great render all setup and then it crashed....and I cant open the file anymore.

Perhaps the good people here who are well aqquainted with any of these could explain their methods ?

As the fastest GI renderer, I'm leaning towards Vray. as the most complete solution, the committee is still out.

Vray has handled the nastiest scenes I've made over the last few years without a problem (So far.) I'll be putting it through some *heavy* animation testing over the next few weeks with one of the current jobs floating through the office. I dont know enough as yet to make a reasoned decision, but I will freely say I am impressed with the quality thus far, and the response/interaction put in by the programmers. (Ex: You find a bug/error, they'll fix it. it seems usually before the next build release.) That said, I dont think its a finished product yet for heavy production, but it works great for our purposes.

Finalrender has been a continual source of problems here. In its current state (Stage0) it can produce amazing still images, given the time to set it up and the determination to decifer the documentation. my personal major downfall being the network rendering support. Its possible, but it takes an exceptional amount of pre-planning to work out an animation. usable, but not in the setting I'm working in currently (quick deadline, last minute change still in design jobs.) The online support is also a downside. Consisting completely of user-driven forums.. It seems we've driven away the developers :( Stage-1 looks to be very very promising, and I hope it delivers.

Brazil. I wish I'd had more time to play with this one, for the most part it appeared to be rock solid. (Dont underestimate the slow and dependable!) didn't get to learn the tricks/shortcuts, so it felt slow and painful in the Lighting department (Interiors...)