Brazil photons and GI

Craig Ramsay

I am doing architectural rendering using brazil. Im just a noobee to brazil so could someone explain to me how I can get quick, good quality GI in my scenes?

I can get very nice renders with GI but they take a long time. I did the brazil photon tutorials but I really dont understand this method of lighting.

What I want to know is can GI and photon mapping be mixed to get fast, smooth GI results just like V-ray? If so, could someone explain how to set this up?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Craig

If you're doing an exterior rendering I can share my settings for combined GI/photon in Brazil for waht they're worth. I'm just getting started with Brazil

I'm not as happy with my interior settings and won't be able to help you there

Let me know what you think is a 'long time' and whether or not you have glass in your model

David

Thanks for the reply guys ;)

I will get something posted soon. I seen to have the same problem that the guy that wrote the other recent brazil post has. Basically I can get very nice results with GI if I set my bounces high and view rate to about 45 in the luma server but it takes forever to render.

I just want to know if photons can reduce my rendertimes but still give me that smooth diffuse GI look :confused:

Craig

Hi Craig

For what it's worth I took an unfinished model of mine (1930's garage on an old gas plant site)and tried out photon mapping of the interior last night and am happy with the first results in terms of light levels. The model has only a few materials at this time (concrete floor, gravel and painted steel windows) and will look better with more materials.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/forum/filepush.asp?file=030204_INT_3.jpg

rendered in VIZ4/BRAZIL-1.0.5

BLight

One directional light, intensity 2, #photons 1,000,000 (it's a big site), power 2

Luma Server

Indirect, skylight, Shade rate 0/0, bounces 2

Photon Map Server

photons in estimate 100, max.search radius 800m

I'll try and send it to the Brazil Forum in the morning and see what they say about improving it

render time 1:53:13 on a Xeon Dual 1.8 GHZ with 1 Gig Ram

I'd be interested in seeing how your managing with Brazil on interiors.

Cheers,

David