VRay against Vray and ...

Sergio

Hi guys!

I downloaded free Vray few days ago, did some test renders(exteriors), but with not much luck.

I found Maxes Light Tracer much nicer than Vray. I already know the answer, I did not setup properly Vray.

Can anybody help me with some tutorials, links etc. Vray Help did not help me at all.

Another thing is, because I mostly do normal architectural visualisations mostly exteriors, bit less interiors, so the question is is there going to be major difference between Vray Free and full version.

I beleive, very important thing in Vray is object not tot overleap each other. I did just a small test render with some boxes and sferes without overleaping and with overleaping, supprisengly results werw the same, (GI was selected).

I strongly think that Vray is very good and fast, only problem is user :D , can enyone help' please :( .

Regards Sergio!

there are many links for vray, including:

www.osmosis.co.au (two tutorials)

http://www.vray.info/about.asp

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/forums/phpBB2/index.php

and vlado's tutorials

and some reading re the physics behind the illumination approach

because I mostly do normal architectural visualisations mostly exteriors, bit less interiors, so the question is is there going to be major difference between Vray Free and full version
yes.

also, illumination for exterior models is not the same solution used for interiors.

basically you can follow the 'advanced' tutorials quite closely, you'll just have to ignore bits where the option is not available - the process and theory is the same.

Vray doesn't usually care if objects intersect or overlap, not other renderers we know.

The advanced version is well worth it if you are going to be doing any animation because you'll have the ability to save and re-use the irradiance map solution.

Also, the VRay material is very good, the latest build released yesterday or today sometime now has proper anistropic control when using blurred reflection, as well as other tasty things.

VRay renders a bit faster when using the VRay material instead of Max's Standard material.

Hi ferox!

Thanx for the valuable links! ;)

BTW is it possible to make fairly good looking images with Vray Free, or to buy full version is absolutly necesserly?

Regards Sergio!

[ May 13, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Sergio ]

Does Vray support .ies files for lights?
Sort of ;)

Not directly. Max 5 and Viz 4 recognise ies lights and Vray will render them correctly but to use ies data in Max 4.26, which I use, you have to download the free Luminaire plugin. This adds a photometric based light type which will open ies files and VRay will render these correctly.

sergio

as posted before, visit http://www.chaoticdimension.com/forums/phpBB2/index.php

they have a forum for vray free users, render theory etc, as well as an extensive archive.

rendering ies lights? http://www.lichtplaner.com/default.asp provide a free max4(?) plugin for Radiance (a free standalone renderer that recognises .ies lights);

otherwise as kid suggests with luminaire.

Originally posted by Sergio:

Seem to me it's very new site, not much posts for VrayFree...

The forum was overhauled (new Yabb software n stuff) a few weeks ago and all the posts older than about two weeks were put in the Archive section.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sergio,

This may be bit late an answer, but in order to go through tutorials, and to a certain point compare Free version with Advanced, I'd advice to download and use Demo verison instead of the Free one, the Demo Version is almost full featured, it has some limitations; it won't allow you to save settings (but settings are very easily reset upon starting a new session), it will render with a Logo Watermark and it is time locked, but should allow you to evaluate it nontheless.