mental ray - vray

cullen

Hey everyone,

Our company finally got our copies of MAX 6 today.(now those dang ADT models will come in :winkgrin: )

I'm waiting for the IT dept. to install it but I noticed it comes with Mental Ray. I've been looking into V-ray for our company, but are these to products similar. Kinda lost on what to do now. I don't know much about mental ray.

Any help would be appreciated....

thanks,

crw

cullen,

Test drove raymax and free Vray with viz4. Was impressed with both. Vray was the easiest to get decent results quick. My beef was having to change the lighting levels to get the renders to work, maybe just inexeperience with these renderers. There is a substantial amount of tutorials and good help files with vray.

Max6 with mental ray, upgrade from viz same cost as brazil +/-. The results can be fantastic, the learning curve is steep, many variables. Tuorials for Max6, most of whats out there is for maya and other applications. The help and training files are not in depth. There also seems to be a number of approaches to using MR GI components. It's fast if used properly in your work flow, for developing good quality. The end GI calc and render times are better than radiosity in both speed and quality imho.

Take a look at Mental Ray and compare to Vray the choice seems to be dependant on a Firms or individuals perspective, additional costs and learning curves.

rgrds

WDA

Mental Ray is a powerfull beast, but you need to learn to control it...

You'll get results much more quicker with VRay, since it is more a dedicated max plugin and is very very fast in modest settings.

Mental Ray is good for movie production work, because of good support for shader-writing, depth-of-field, motion blur and the shear amount of configuration control. But it comes at a cost: rendering licenses are not free and the software is slow if you don't know how to use it.

For architectural illustration, in a smaller office, with less amount of experience, VRay will win hands down, unless you devote enough time to master Mental Ray.

Mental Ray is more like Renderman then like Brazil/VRay/FinalRender.

Thanks for the info!!!

Right now, since we have some really fast paced jobs coming in I think we are going to stick with our normal rendering engine. I definately want to learn more on using mental ray though.(especially since we have a full version of it)

Once again, thanks! :D

crw

• 2 weeks later...