Brazil Interior render

Gerri4D

Well,

::mrcs::, Dave,

I'm sure that Photon map method don't cast indirect light shadows, with GI bounce=1

When you set GI bounce=2 Photon map is use only for the direct light, the inderct light is calculate by the QMC engine. So the render time go away....

The technique that in tutorial is calling "regathering" save render time becasue with the photon map "QMC samples are "pointed" in the right direction" but is true only for direct light

My test:

Inderect light ON Directional+Sky

Render time 50sec

GI bounce=1

Photon in est. 64

Search rad. 400

filepush.asp?file=inderctlight_on50s.jpg

The same but Inderect light OFF Directional+Sky

Render time 50sec

GI bounce=1 (is off by default)

Photon in est. 64

Search rad. 400

filepush.asp?file=_inderctlight_off50s.jpg

No difference, just little more brightness the second image.

i've (exactly my net friends) made some tests and conclusion is, that there is no way to get indirect shadows and light from flares without using regathering :(

tried even with 8 000 000 photons and small radius and still there is no indirect shadows :( the worst thing is that rendering with regathering takes 8-10 times more than rendering without it

[ December 13, 2002, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: ::mrcs:: ]

Yeah im doing an office interior at the moment with Brazil. To be honest I never use photon maping. I messed with it a while ago but to get really good quiality renders it seemed to take just as long as GI and didn't look as good redface2.gif

I love the quality of Brazils GI so I just stick to that and distribute my renders over the network so it's not bad for rendertimes

Craig