Hard disk Woes

Awhile ago, my HD temporarily crashed. After tinkering a bit in the XP Recovery console, I got the HD back online (thank goodness there was no permanent damage) After checking the HD in XP, i found out that most files that got displaced by the crash were those in the Temporary internet files and other temporary ones.

Then I got to thinking, would there be some benefit and advantage in using a removable media such as a 512Mb or 1 Gig CF card for temporary internet files and also put there the XP pagefile and others as well, like the photoshop temp files?

What do you think?

On another note, How do you guys do your Asset and File management?

Awhile ago, my HD temporarily crashed. After tinkering a bit in the XP Recovery console, I got the HD back online (thank goodness there was no permanent damage) After checking the HD in XP, i found out that most files that got displaced by the crash were those in the Temporary internet files and other temporary ones.

Then I got to thinking, would there be some benefit and advantage in using a removable media such as a 512Mb or 1 Gig CF card for temporary internet files and also put there the XP pagefile and others as well, like the photoshop temp files?

What do you think?

On another note, How do you guys do your Asset and File management?

In my (albeit naive) opinion, it seems it could slow things down if it's external hardware. Maybe not much, but it could.

You can relocate your temp internet folder, to, say, a dedicated scratch disk. I did this for a while and it was nice and convenient to find files in the temp folder. I just made a partition that was only for my scratch drive and temp folder.

So you could have two internal HDs, and one that is used for your scratch and temp folder (assuming you don't already have two - I do, so I just use a partition).

I didn't bother on my reinstall, though.

I already have 2 HD in my system. HD 1 with 2 partitions (A for OS, B for temporary files) HD 2 for data files and assets.

The thing about using a CF media for temp files was that, since a CF media doesnt have moving parts, so I thought it wear and tear wouldnt have that much effect on it when used for frequent access such as temp files and pagefiles.

Just a thought though.