Completely Frustrated

Jet

Well i have been making this transition from modeling in AutoCAD, to modeling in 3dsMax. This is my first complete all 3dsMax Model. Well now that i have finished it, I want to use a daylight source to light the interior just like i have in the past. its been a while since i have done it, but it cant be that much different from when the last time i did one. Even using the same settings. i cant get anything but this dark room. What am I doing wrong, below are my settings.

Oh yea, I used the 0% for the initial qualities and stuff, because i just wanted to get a quick quick glimpse, but all im getting is black

here is the result im getting

result1dark.jpg

here are the advance lighting settings

adlighting1.jpg

here are the daylight settings

max1.jpg

here are some more modifications that i made, but still the same result

max2.jpg

Please Help

Jet

Ok, i just took the daylight system completely out right.

and when i rendered the image, this is what i came up with.

Why does it look like this, its almost as if there is a light source in there somewhere. but i dont have any lights in there at all. its hot everywhere

what does this mean?

when using an exterior daylight system to light an interior, should you not do it if the room is an extra big room, or has multiple rooms, because in the cases where i used an exterior daylight system to light up an interior, it was only for like one room

i.e.

http://mcade.com/portfolio/Gallery/Interiors/GuestBed2/images/0316-guestbed2.jpg

it was only a bedroom and so maybe that is the reason.

i.e.

this one was our conference room, but again, it wasnt for multiple rooms

http://mcade.com/portfolio/Gallery/ScrapPile/images/conf-i.jpg

im just so frustrated right now, and have to figure this thing out.

any help is appreciated

jet

So you want quick results and reduced the initial quality to 0? Well, you get what you asked for. With no lights placed there are a couple "default" lights that kick in untill you place at least one in the scene.

Ismael

as stated already.

there is a daylight system only.

the samples in the second post show more of what im talking about. Those scenes were lit with only a daylight system as well.

i have tried another little small interior space as well. it comes out black only also. i think that something has been screwed up in a setting or something, because i have not only mirrored other settings, but imported from a brand new drawing and the result is the same.

this has got to be the most frustrating thing in the world :(

jet

Hi Jet,

First off, uncheck Exterior daylight in exposure control. Try setting initial quality to what you eventually want and simply stopping it after a few percent to see the lighting level. Also, remember to lock your Ambient and Diffuse color values for your materials.

What version of max are you using?

Hi Jet,

First off, uncheck Exterior daylight in exposure control. Try setting initial quality to what you eventually want and simply stopping it after a few percent to see the lighting level. Also, remember to lock your Ambient and Diffuse color values for your materials.

What version of max are you using?

First of all before i go on, Fran let me tell you.

Your work is unbelievable! Wow! everytime i go to your site.

I am using Max 5.1 still, I have 6 but i havent even opened it yet. kinda got out of practice, but im back now and hopefully to stay!

is there anything that i could have done by accident that would make whenever i delete the daylight system for all of my lighting to come back super hot!

Why will the same lighting setup used on another file not work on this file. or at least the same settings. i am doing those suggested settings now as well to see what happens.

jet

Ok, now this is weird, when i raise the solution to 85%, it looks correct in the viewport, but it doesnt render correctly. ooooooooooooooooooo

in the render dialogue, the button for use advanced lighting was not checked.

well i modeled this in a day, its three rooms,

any advice on placing the daylight system, or anything at all. im so open and ready to soak in information it isnt funny!

here is the result of the last update.

i feel sooooooooo much better

its been 2 days of solid black renderings.

Time to go get my workout on, but i'll be back!

I feel like a million bucks!

jet

Well here is the model updated!

What a difference that one checkbox made!

I will be finishing this model kinda in a little time. I would like to model the furniture and all as well in max also. I will post updates.

jet

thanks again

Fran your the best!!!!