Site Advertising and CGA2

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

As many of you know we are in the process of redesigning the entire site for an early 2004 launch. I'm sure many of you know that site advertising is a nesescity to keep the site running, but we would like to know your thoughts on how we might move forward with this and how we integrate advertising into the site.

What are your thoughts on how advertising affects your experience on the site?

- Do you wish there was less, but understand the need and so it does not bother you?

- Do you find the advertising helpful as it let's you know when important new product releases and companies are launched?

- Do you think site advertising is ok, but there should be less?

- Do you think the advertising should be formated differently?

- If a single company were to sponsor the entire site and be the only advertiser what would you think of this? Keeping in mind that the same unbiased news and announcements would be present (not only from an ethical standpoint but from a contractual one as well.) In a situation like this I would envision much less space being dedicated to advertising, but the advertising was that present would be dedicated entirely to that single Sponsor.

Any other suggestions on how you think CGA can balance income with site aethetics are always welcome. I feel it's important to include you guys in some of the decision making processes as it's the visitor that make or breaks the site. Our goal is eventually (hopefully next year or two) being able to pay contributors for their articles and to bring on up to 5 or 6 full time monthly freelance article writters.

Thoughts and Feedback appreciated.

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

I love the current site design, it really balance between advertising and information. I think most of the time, I found news informative about what new product are coming out, and that usually lead me to enquire about the product to the manufacturer's site. Right now I think the balance is perfect, it wasn't too intrusive.

The advertising is helpful although I pay more attention to the news releases than I do flashing things.

I don't feel that the current amount of advertising is excessive.

I would rather there be an ad presence of several companies rather than a single one exclusively. Even though you may have a fair and balanced approach, it would be hard to imagine a negative sway towards the site's one and only sponsor.

Hi jeff,

First of all, congratulations for the site

I think it´s a fantastic tool to exchange informations,knowledge and most of all, help people.

:ngesleep: :ngesleep: :ngesleep:

I really like the advertisements. I guess everybody is always checking for some new product or tutorial.

Been a very democratic space, (and I guess that´s why people love to post and look around here), I don´t see with good eyes having only one sponsor,

:???: :???: :???:

For me is always good to see many sponsors,but I understand the advantages of one sponsor.

As far as ads go I would rather see much more (variety). This is what I do and I want (for the most part) the people who would advertise here to market to me. I may not want what they are selling but I want to know about it. I guess I am also rather tired of seeing the usual suspects. I know thats just the reality of advertising and not a big deal.

Jeff

The advertising is fine. I remember CGA before ads, and it has not suffered (much) because of them. The ads that you have are fairly consistently useful to me (and my kind) so they are more help than hinderance. Did you notice my post today about the 3Dluvr pop-up ad? Now THAT was an annoyance. As long as the products are relevent to the profession I think they are fine. They have not made page loads go too slowly, either.

The repetition is sometimes disappointing, and the flashing ones. Although I must say the roaches were a poor choice...as I stare at a Boxx all day, with all those openings that the bugs could crawl into, and out of, and into, and run across my tablet... A computer maker advertising BUGS? But that's not your choice, Jeff.

So I will end with my usual point--it ain't broke.

I think the advertising need the following amendments.

Stop Flashing. It is drawing me away from stuff I'm reading.

They seem to take a while to load even on a 120k connection.

I think a slow scrolling banner from left to right full of there own little squares would be cool. (but not flashing!)

I think they need separating from the page. e.g. the main GgArchitect Title image underneath the ads? That would make them more viewable and less cluttered/. Yeah thats it. Cluttered and flashing.

Thanks

JHalton

Hi all,

Like Ernest says 'don't fix what ain't broken' there is not too much that need to be changed on cga2.

From the above comments about, I agree most with JHalton: no flashing.

My thoughts are that advertisment is necessary, but should be done in a controlled way. Basicly this means that the site features some kind of bar where ads are allowed. This does not have to be too different from what it is now, only more designed to fit into the whole. At this moment I find the ads but a random distribution around a white page that could be done in a smoother way: compressed, aligned, condensed,... Also it might be a good idea to 'frame' banners, so less harsh changes between a similair background and full frames are made. I find it highly disturbing when animated banner backgrounds are the same color of the page. (Think about the white background of 'rpc-cars', 'dosh-design vizimages', 'marlin studios low poly cars',... these seem to move the page and distract more than any full animated banner)

I would recommend to keep all ads the same size, or use a few fixed sizes too.

I'm totally against flashing ads because they really distract me from reading the forum. As reading on a computerscreen is much harder and slower than reading on paper, flashing ads are not welcome at all. This is high priority (imho) as a forum is about reading. Personally, I dislike the animated banners above the posts. Okay, one kan scroll up so the banner is not visible, but this continuously makes you aware of the banners, which I hate a lot. Ow... and NEVER interupt the forum posts with ads... This has not been done before here on cga, but honestly: don't think about it! ;)))

Flashing adds could be used on the entry page where the news items are featured though, just be carefull on the amount and placement.

Why not charge a lot more for animated banners than you do for non-animated ones?

rgds

nisus

I think I'm one of few people that find the flashing ,moving and jumping ads NOT distractive at all.. Its maybe more of a concentration thing..

The amount of ads is okay, as long as the space taken by ads is significant less as the space of news etc..

From a business point of view; I would never go with one sponsor cause sooner or later they will influence CGA, contract or no contract. Other thing is if you loose that sponsor, you will loose your total "income" instead of a little bit.

If you want to increase your income with sponsoring, please do so in the way you do now.. ;)

BTW: if I add a reply, the original post is below the reply message box, there are also banners in there... Do you charge that?? ;) :gebigeek: :ebiggrin: :ngelaugh:

PS: sorry for those flashing emoticons.....

I think the advertising is a great benefit to the users of the site, since we all are always looking for new stuff and tecnologies to upgrade our equipament, software, and knowlegde. As some said, there could be less flashing :gebigeek: :gebigeek: (its distracting when you are reading something). I guess that repetition is something that happens, since its advertising. I am not an expert in advertising and e-business to point the advantages and disadvantages of one single sponsor, but even keeping the independent product articles, there will bee less information about other products. See many times the banners show something you were looking for, and that is good for all.

The amount of advertising doesnt bother me at all, since that there's variety.

But thats just me.

[]

HI TO ALL,

In my 2 years of visiting this site everyday, all the useful information, forums & ads posted helped me a lot and continue to fill my thirst for fresh knowlegde and techniques in the field of DIGITAL ARCHITECTURE..I guess I must agree for what the good Ernest have said...! JUST KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JEFF..TNX.