Any tips on setting up my PC for MAX?

salf

This is my home system:

AMD Athlon XP +1.7

768 mb DDR

80 gb HD

Geforce3 ti

Whenever i run 3ds MAX 5, after a few minutes working the computer gets sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww, and i mean "slow".

what do i meanwith "slow" ?

Well, i hit RENDER and the computer is rendering, if for some reason i have to cancel it, and i click on CANCEL, it takes like 2 minutes for the screen to delete the render screen and refresh the viewports.

When using 3ds MAX i practically cannot use any other application, i cant neither surf the web, why?, if im watching some web page and working with 3ds MAX, whenever i click on the web page it takes like 5 minutes to load the page from the task bar, sometimes it doesnt even brings up the page so im stuck with 3ds MAX.

This dont happen with 3ds VIZ (which i know is "lighter" than MAX), but when wokring with VIZ i can have 5 internet pages opened, and chatting in 3 MSN windows, and surf between all of those, with no problems while VIZ is rendering.

So, what im asking if is there is some kinda of "tweaks" i can do in order to work "normally" with MAX and my PC, dunno, some settings on Windows on how to handle computer resources, or maybe i have to reinstall MAX and you guys could tell me a recomended installation (i think i have the max. installation right now)

thanks all.

When you open your Task Manager does WinLogon keep using 1 CPU all the time and does its memory usage increase? This happens because of a problem in some Antivirus and the 3dsmax licensing software.

Go to Support.discreet.com, go in the 3dsmax downloads, download and install CDilla version 3.27.

Hope it helps,

Alexander

what happens if you set your video card to 256 colors?

mmmmm.....dunno if this is what you meant, but, i tried to change the monitor settings, rightclicking on the desktop, but i have no 256 colors option, my only two options are 16 bits and 32 bits (this is the one running)

Alexander, i searched in the Discreet site, i saw the download youre talking about, and this is what it says it does:

"This version of the License Manager Run-Time System (RTS) incorporates earlier Windows XP compatibility, works with removable disks, and fixes the v e r y slow performance problem related to Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.61. "

I do have Norton as my AntiVirus, but i dont think is the same, mine is Norton Systemworks 2003, however ill try to install this Cdilla, but later on, first im gonna upgrade my ANtivirus.

Alexander, thanks a lot, that Cdilla update helped me.

After installing that update, ive been messing around with MAX and the Vray Sponza Atrium tutorial, and surfing the web (the tutorial page and other Photon mapping pages) while rendering with no slowing problems at all.

Muito obrigado.