dual CPU issue

For some reason beyond my understanding, all apps on my comp boot with single CPU only - if I check the multi-threading affinity in the Task Manager list of Processes, 3D Studio MAX defaults to single CPU and I need to manually enable the second one.

First I thought it was a MAX issue only, today I found out that it does the same with Photoshop, Autocad and all other apps too....clearly, it's an OS issue. But what????

I haven't performed any new installations in months and everything was working perfectly fine until about last week.

If I check in task manager, I can see 2 CPUs (2 separate graphs)

with one peaking the roof during computations, other one flatlining. Enabling the apps affinity to 2nd CPU immediately restores multi-threading.

any hint would be highly appreciated, this is completely beyond me

Machine specs:

Dual Asus A7M266-D motherboard with 2x AMD 2100+ CPUs.

3GB SDRAM PC2100 (3 X 1 GB)

2 X Seagate Barracuda HD drives (60GB, 60GB)

ATI FireGL2 video card

Win XP, SP1

Hi

I had a similar issue a while ago on a P3 Dual 1GHz on Win2K when I added the 2nd CPU, although if it only started recently then I would assume that the fault is somewhere else in XP. My guess is ... reinstall. I usually don't have time to do endless troubleshooting. You might try to download a CPU ID utility to make sure that both processors are OK, although it seems more like a software glitch...

Hope it helps