3dsmax Hourglass tutorial

<--rYaN-->

Hello, i am currently trying to learn 3dsmax, so i started out doing the tutorials that come with it in the help file, i did the space scene, then the 3d logo, then the chess pieces with no problems.

I am currently on the Hourglass tutorial, and i am stuck. There seems to be a lack of information which leads me to creat a shape that is not supposed to be created.

If you wouldnt mind looking in the tutorial, Fundamental tutorials > Hourglass tutorial > Adding a Freeform Deformation page.

This is what i dont understand here:

To scale the vertices of the lattice in the Perspective viewport, move your mouse over the inner set of triangular plane handles. When the scale cursor appears, click and drag downward. As you move the cursor, watch the coordinate display change. Release the mouse button when the X, Y, Z fields display 30.

To refine the shape of the hourglass, you'll need to repeat this process on all the horizontal rows of control points, scaling two rows at a time. This is a two-step process:

Selecting the rows of vertices in the Front viewport.

Scaling in the Perspective viewport.

To select the control points, drag a selection rectangle around a row, then press the CTRL key and select the corresponding row in the opposite half of the hourglass.

Now if i move all the rows down by the required 30, i get the exact same shape i ended up with, just a lot smaller, i do not get the nice curved shape like in the pic. That page was very unclear.

Any help is appreciated,

Ryan