Initial Interior Scene

MulaG

I'm still a newbie and this is my first proper scene that I've done so I welcome all types of critique.

I've still got a few things to tidy up and the floor is by no means finished. I may have to reduce the fresnel a bit on the table. And redo the branches in the vase at the back of the room as you can barely see it.

Not quite sure about the spotlights - I'm sure they are suppose to appear brighter (more luminance needed - maybe!)

For some reason I seem to have some white specs on the plant - any ideas what this could be?

Full-sized images http://www.colour9.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=mula_G

It looks like there is an ambient light that needs to be reduced. Otherwise increase your shadow strength on the downlights.

It may also be the tube light in the floor fixture. Check to make sure the "visible light" is not larger than the fixture. That might be contributing to the floor looking flat.

....It may also be the tube light in the floor fixture. Check to make sure the "visible light" is not larger than the fixture. That might be contributing to the floor looking flat.

Thanks Tom! Just checking my scene and the lights in my standing lamp are the same brightness as my spotlights. So do I need to increase the intensity of the spotlights?

One other thing I'm not sure about is the contrast bewteen the outside and the interior - it's supposed to be dark/dusky outside is my room supposed to be only a little bit brighter or more (if that makes sense!)?

You got way too much soft shadows on the painting in the left, it looks like the painting is floating away the wall, not attached to it.

I was wondering about this as I made sure that the picture was against the wall in a closeup view. I'll change it to hard and see if it looks much better.

Thanks!

Thanks Tom! Just checking my scene and the lights in my standing lamp are the same brightness as my spotlights. So do I need to increase the intensity of the spotlights?

The first time I used tube lights in C4D I didn't realize how huge the visible light range was upon insertion. This caused a lot of frustration because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. You will have to turn on the "show visible light" and zoom out to see the handles. Then just drag them down to the size you want the bulb to be.

There are a ton of settings to mess with but once you get the hang of them you'll be glad they're there.

Also... If you are using soft shadows. Increase your shadow map size to get stronger contrast and sharpen the edges. Right now they're so soft they disappear. ;)

nice start.

but as mentioned, your shadow work is way too soft. things look like they're floating in there.

lighting is never an easy thing to master. what lighting rig are you using? (ie, fake gi or full gi? sky light, object illum or normal lights etc etc? )

Ace Face - The lights used in the floor lamp are normal omni lights not tube lights. I've got five of them in the lamp shade and they are set to 'soft' shadow. Should these be hard?

Hi Strat! - Thanks your view :-)

I haven't got any GI as I'm using radiosity.

• 2 weeks later...