Problem with House exterior (VRay)

Poco

Hi all,

When making a lighting test render of this exterior I came upon a little problem. I have used the "very high" preset in the "Irradiance map preset" but still get some artefacts in the details. I know i can cranck up the settings even more but then the rendertimes are, for me anyway, far too long.

Now, is there something I can do to get rid of those artefacts without having rendertimes of 6 hours and up.

Thanks in advance,

Poco

PFSmall_Project0201_05.jpg

Bigger picture

http://www.art-at-large.be/test/PFBig_Project0201_05.jpg

Thanks Ras, kinda thought of that too but the problem stays the same if you for example want to make an animation from it.

In my previous post I forgot to mention that I am new to VRay and that this (simple) project is like a testcase for me. I want to use it from this day on in most of my future and more complex projects so thats why I want to know the strong and weak points of this renderer.

Anyway, thanks again

Poco

BTW: Maybe you havent noticed, but I am from Belgium and cheating is some kind of national sport around here :) , so I dont mind as long the result looks good.

yes definatly an anti aliasing prob

i also don't use vray (i use mental ray) but i have the same prob if i dont increase the 'sample' setting in mental... this increases the rendertime by lets say 30%, but all the jagged lines are gone...

and if that doesn't do it, you could blur out sligtly the texture (before rendering offcourse) of the garage in photoshop (less detail... i know... but this will get rid of those jagged edges for sure, especially in animations, we had similar probs in an animation from the 'Beersel castle' in brussels, for animation we had to blur the brick textures because they all started to 'dance' when they came near a horizontal position, see attach)

mn... een belgje die als hobby 3D en motoren heeft ... en in gent woont... :cool:

wij moeten dringend eens een pint gaan pakken op de vrijdagsmarkt ofzo :D... ik rij zelf ook met de moto... en woon ook in gent ;)

succes met de 3D garage poort dude...

I am very new to vray and trying to discover too :)

to me it looks like an alias problem. and you must play with image sampling parameters.

ofcourse this increase render time so better to make these values lowest as possible for your test renders.

Hey Joske,

Before I tried VRay I had about the same problem with Mental Ray too (see picture).

I suppose you are right about the AA but i've tried some other AA settings and didnt get it right yet. Anyway, I wont give up because Ive seen some incredible pictures made with VRay without those probs so it must be my newbieness ;) that the cause.

Wanneer het wat beter weer is, met nadruk op wanneer ;), dan zullen we dit zeker eens doen. Ik woon eigenlijk in Gavere maar ben afkomstig van Gent.

Venice_Question.jpg

mnnn... i saw this over at cgtalk a while back...

is your windowblind a texture or a mesh?

if it is a texture than it must be an AA prob too

if you look closely to the white vertical lines your AA sample settings aren't that high it seems

so just up the sample settings to something like 1-16 (mental ray)

if it's not a texture... it might be the sample settings of the mr lights

(default 5-5) try to increase those to like 20-20

check out my example test renders here : http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=426

give it another try man

ik hou u aan die 'goe weer afspraak' he gast... van de moment da het een bekke zon is ...