Convert 2d CAD to 3D (ductwork)

pixelperfectg

I have to draw cutouts of floor plans that show the HVAC ductwork layout. I was wondering if anyone knew of a product that will easily convert parts of a 2D CAD file into 3D? I don't draw the mechanical CAD's, I only recieve them from the architects.

Sometimes I can use the extrude & shell modifier in 3dsmax (just depends on how the duct was drawn in CAD). However, most of the time I end up hand drawing the ductwork which is very time consuming.

Thanks,

Jeff

depending on what shapes the ducts are, I would use the renderable spline option...it will take the 2d lines and make them renderable, with a varying number of sides (but always symmetrical) If you needed to do rectangular ductwork, use the "bevel profile" modifier. You choose the line, choose the modifier, and then choose another shape that you want to use as the profile. Works like loft but much simpler to use (with fewer options)

-Chad

Chad, Thanks for the tip. I tried the bevel profile on a .dwg import. It sorta worked, but left holes in the mesh (same as extrude does). I thought I would try it again after welding the verts on the duct. But that also produced holes. I even used the cap modifier to try it.

I'm attaching my test scene and a screen grab if anyone wants to give it a try and see what I'm doing wrong. The main trunk is what I'm most focused on. Since I can use a path follow or bevel profile to create the runners off the main trunk.

I suppose I could just trace the duct with splines and then extrude the splines and that would work. However it seems like a lot of extra work when it's already splines now?

http://www.pixelperfectgraphics.biz/cg_files/duct.jpg

http://www.pixelperfectgraphics.biz/cg_files/duct.zip (max6 file)

Jeff,

Using the direct import- In MAX-Splines>line - select the profile (perimeter) line segments - Detach - Apply extrude modifier. No holes / correct normals / no coplaner faces. Edit the vertices for duct dimensions.

WDA

Jeff,

Ok, what a mess, huh. Forgot How I did it, (got lucky the first time) had to get the file back. You need to by segment get rid of any non perimeter lines, the ones in the middle and the drafting branch lines-ie get rid of the extra vertices by deleting uneeded segments.!!!!!!!

Once that is done and all you have are the segments you need, select the vertices, and weld, I used 1". This should result in one end/start vertices and the rest are common.

Then extrude.

This method worked on both versions in your max file.

I hope this helps.

WDA

Jeff,

I am very impressed with your work. Your site looks very impressive. I work with medical gas systems. Instead of airconditioning ducts I use pipes.

Ten years ago I started doing all these visualization things in order to get away from isometric line drawings. The local AutoCAD / SolidWorks dealer who looked like he knew what was he doing.... Adviced me to get SolidWorks with several plugins..... (7K) many thousand dollars later I still couldn't do exactly what I wanted. Back to the dealer... this time he advice me to acquire Lightscape..... then 3DMax.... And of course in 1994 there was no CGArchitect so you had to attend their 1,500 classes with an instructor who attended Highs School during the day. If I would have kept going there he was going to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge... I never found a software to do what I wanted.

Many years later I was doing CFD and Finite Element Analysis and I still couldn't do what I wanted. Several months ago I discovered CADPIPE.... The program is fairly good to do my pipes. I have been able to custom make some of the parts I manufacture and plug them into their software.

Perhaps it is not very good for doing high resolution graphics but it does the visualization of piping systems very well. They have a package for HVAC. One of my Mechanical Sub Contractor client uses this package. He is not computer oriented and he puts out very nice looking systems. The negative thing about the software is that it cost about 4K.

I have never posted a picture on this forum. I will try. If it works you will see a very primitive and early thing I did with the CADPIPE. It is a valve nightmare for a hospital I worked with. Then there is a gas manifold room done with SolidWorks to AutoCAD to MAX and then to LS. I have found that it is easier for me to do the small details with SW and the export them to AutoCAD and to MAX.

Thanks

Elliot

William, I understand now, thank you. On some projects that's going to be a lot of deleting & welding verts for sure. But I don't see any other way of doing this.

Elliot, thanks for the compliment and tip about CADPIPE. I will try the demo out and see if it will help my work flow. Yes, software people will try to sell the world to you. Thats why I feel comfortable asking for advice here instead (unbiased info). Very nice work on your site! I like the floor plan cut outs.

Basically, I would love to find a software package that would automatically take parts of an existing 2D CAD file and convert it to 3D for me. I don't think such an animal exists (still to test CADPIPE though).

Thanks for the info guys.

Jeff