3D Web Site Navigation

angelo

Hello,

I’m looking for web sites that use 3D (or the illusion of) for navigation/background/interface, etc. So many sites use it as a gimmick or for no apparent reason at all.

Do you know of any that really integrate three-dimensional space in a way that enriches the overall experience?

It could be something as small as an entry sequence, or a simple transition.

Architecture is heavily driven by the sense of space, and I think a web site should reflect that.

What are your thoughts?

Angelo

mbr,

Thanks for the quick reply--I'm intrigued by the "cyberyard tour". There is actually a purpose for the 3D on this site! However, there is way too much clutter (which breeds confusion) with the interface.

billybussey.com is a novel idea, but without much thought or clear indication of direction. There is so much mixing of 2D in 3D space (transitions) and 3D gadgets, that it really overpowers any sort of message (if there is one).

When you actually select any of the content, there isn't any!

purplepulse is pretty cool, but seems to also fall into that trap of interface overkill...

Here is a site that is only 2D, but has a very clean and simple idea. No clutter, but still very rich through the use of transparency.

www.johnsonchou.com

I'd like to build something like this, but with more emphasis on 3D...

Looking forward to some more suggestions.

Thanks,

Angelo

I agree with the overkill on some of them, but not the shipyard one. If you spend sometime, you'll see that the content is almost endless. They've got everything 3D there, from each ship to the to whole yard.

Personally, I think 3D is dangerous. You can use it for animations, for content (like the shipyard did - 2D nav), but for the actual site it would be almost impossible to pull it off. That, and it becomse very processor intensive if you are leaving it all vectors (I assume you would be using Swift or Plasma), not to mention the added download time.

That site you listed is nice, but it looks a little dated, imho. I don't care for the scrolling nav - too easy to get lost. But the big turn off is the full screen. That's a NEVER thing!! I have a 21" monitor and it looks horrible! The images are big pixels. Just a bad idea to scale things on the web. I would have also gotten rid of those beeps.

But I like the site besides that. It's simple enough.

Here's two sites I've done over the last year that are very simple:

www.aestheticmanuevers.com

www.mbrstudios.com/competitions/vision_formed.html

I've got thousands of great sites bookmarked, if you know specifically what you are looking for I can give some more.