spline to polyline

mtutaj

I am having a problem converting an illustrator outline to a polyline. It is a logo (basicly text outline) that is going to be laser cut out of stainless steel. and for some reason, his program does not like splines. The export from Illustrator to .dwg or dxf converts the paths to a spline. I have traced over the objects before, but some of this is getting way too time consuming, so I am looking for other options,

Please help.

Thanks,

Mike

ACAD has some options with varying degrees of success. One is to print through a DXB driver (usually available with autocad) then insert that dxb file.

Another is to export as a Windows meta file. A re-import can be exploded into a faceted representation of the original spline. It will need to be scaled accordingly. As far as I know they are all straight sections (i.e., no arcs) so the geometry may be too "unsmooth". One thing to keep in mind about WMF is that it is display based. If autocad is displaying a faceted circle, that is what is exported. To get a finer division perform a regen first.

Sean

I found out the solution. In Illustrator you need to export out as .wmf then you need to import that into acad. explode and then all the line items are 2d polylines.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Mike

• 5 years later...