[3D Studio MAX 6] What does regather do ?

samp

I'm not sur eif this is in the right forum ...

But here I go :)

I have to write a paper about raytracing.

So that includes radiosity in my point of view, since that is forward raytracing.

I know only litle from the "Advanced Lightning" section in 3D Studio MAX, but with some things in mind from my old days VIZ4 I can get around.

The two thing I can't realy figure out what they exactly do are :

- regather indirect illumination

- refine iterations

I know that both make the result look better, but what do they exactly do ?

"Regather Indirect Illumination—In addition to recalculating all the direct lighting, 3ds max recalculates the indirect lighting at each pixel by regathering illumination data from the existing radiosity solution. Using this option can produce the most accurate, artifact-free images, but it can add a considerable amount of rendering time."

"Refine Iterations —Sets the number of Refine iterations to perform for the scene as a whole. The Refine Iterations stage increases the quality of the radiosity processing on all objects in the scene. Gathers energy from each face in order to reduce the variance between faces using a different process from the Initial Quality stage. This stage does not increase the brightness of the scene, but it improves the visual quality of the solution and significantly reduces variance between surfaces."

in 3dsmax6 help file

nuno