Work Experience

Im a 14 year old student, and I am currently looking for work experience. I am really interested in 3D modelling and animation, and am becoming more advanced in Lightwave every day. Does anyone have any suggestions on places that do 3D modelling or design in any form, preferrably in the UK. Also, I am not entirely sure what career general modelling is classed as, if at all (3D Animator, architect...?). I know that CG covers a wide range of options. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on career paths that are related to modelling or animation. Thanks.

Boy, you are going to be some competition! Just kidding.

Well, you've certainly got time on your side, so don't worry about doing exactly one thing. Buy some books off of amazon (I suggest reading the reviews before deciding) on modeling, character animation, but don't forget the artistic side. I'd take as many art classes you can in school and learn some traditional methods (lighting, color, composition) - like drawing, etc., etc.

Next, I'd keep looking around online and reading what others, with knowledge behind them, think are good. Learn WHY they are good, what makes them better than others, etc. Don't be afraid to ask, like you are doing here. You will be surprised how helpful people can be, it's really a great community online.

A good resource for current graphic design, motion graphics, web design, and 3D is http://www.computerlove.net . It's a little too much of the same stuff, but there are the best on there, too.

Find an idea after you get the basics down, perhaps work with your art teacher, and pursue it until you are satisfied, then move onto a new one. It's better to complete something that you are happy with than try to do 100 things in an incomplete fashion.

Post your stuff around the forums, you'll get opinions, just be aware that what you put up, that you may love and have put your heart into, may get criticized. It's all part of learning, and you'll get that as you go through more art classes.

Lastly, I can't emphasize enough how important that traditional classes are. I only know a few animators (a fellow architecture grad, which I went to undergrad and grad school with, just finished working on the Return of the King), but their hand drawings are equally as impressive as their computer stuff. For example, at UCLA (my grad school), the entire first year of grad animation school is done freehand, NO computers!

Most importantly, have FUN!! You are young, and should live beyond your computer!! Go out and see the world around you.

Cheers.

It's better to complete something that you are happy with than try to do 100 things in an incomplete fashion.

Damn! So that's where I've gone wrong! I can't tell you how well that describes me.

I would have written everything MBR just wrote. But to be sure you get the point--DRAW. Doing hand-work is vital to doing 3D digital work. You must train your artistic eye. You cannot model things you cannot visualize, you must understand the subject. Drawing and painting really help with that. Try sculpting, both additive and subtractive. Additive is when you build up, like with clay, and the other is when you take away, like starting with a block of stone or a piece of wood and carve them down. An easily-carved stone is soapstone which can be obtained from most good art supply stores, it is so soft you can carve it with a fingernail. Crazyglue fixes boo-boos. Also try working with plasticine--a yellow clay-like stuff popular with architects for making models. It doesn't dry up and is firm enough to hold a shape.

For digital stuff, Lightwave is a good program. Try out different functions and methods of modeling and viewing. But its best to start with simple subjects so most of your time is learning and not fighting with the complexity of the subject. Post results, here or on other forums. The internet gives you an opportunity that was not available to artists my age--to reach others around the globe for comment and cross-contamination.

So good luck, it sounds like you are off to a great start.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I do study art at school, and am (in my opinion) good at many areas of it. I also hear that maths is generally required, and I am very good at this (sounding modest).

I am assuming that you are all professionals. How much do you expect to get paid roughly, and is it better to be freelance or employed?

Thanks.

I do study art at school

Good boy!

I am assuming that you are all professionals.

More or less.

Pay can vary widely, and if you search this site you will find several very informative threads about it, even one or two that look at the freelance/slave (Oh, I mean salaried) choice, especially as applied to the UK. Which seems to be different from the US. Go figure. Most renderers in the US are freelancers, most in the UK seem to be employed persons.

Search, read...

Oh, and would you please edit your profile so your username is just the burnt-toast part? With the whole email address it knocks off the page formatting.

You're smart to start asking these questions, and finding where to ask them. A promising lad.