Two big new items for Vray: Myst and Scanline

Christopher Nichols

Vray had two big news releases yesterday...

The first being what scanline has been doign with Vray. Based on their open SDK, they have been able to develop some pretty powerful plugins, such as implicit surfacing and implicit micro confinement. This goes to show that Vray can easily produce true subD's and Nurbs surfacing.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/news/20040604-01.html

The next news item was about Ubisoft, the large game company, that used Vray for "almost everything" in the new Myst IV

http://www.chaosgroup.com/news/20040609-01.html

Lightscape, Lightscape, a little bit of C4D, then run back to Lightscape. The future will be C4D, although as I said, I am really hopeful for using Vray-stand-alone...somehow.

I haven't explored C4D much. Why do you say its the future? Or do you just mean its the future for you? Sounds like its friggin hard to get a decent interior render with that program. Plus I don't know what I would do without .dwg file linking.

My thought is that I sort of want to follow the mainstream. Not just so I can hang out with the cool kids, but I think its better for support, file sharing, user groups etc. Plus if I ever get to the point where I take on a partner, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to find an expert in Max than C4D.

I have chosen to use Vray in addition to Viz, though, not because of its popularity, but because of its speed, quality, and good price.

Whether or not you're happy about it, I think Discreet will continue to be the future, no matter how many other good 3d programs are out there - at least for a while anyways. Its just like Autodesk....they make a lot of people angry with some stupid decision making and high prices etc. And there are probably a lot of equal or better products out there, but I don't think they'll ever be major competition to Autodesk because Autodesk is a gient and most people are comfortable with that.

I can't wait to see Vray 1.5 The lightmap feature sounds incredible. Finally a one click button to make beautiful renderings at supersonic speeds!....err, almost.