Testing SpeedTree with VRay

Looking good!

For the shadows, what are you using? Is the light a VRay one or standard? Render times? And what version of VRay? As I said, I've heard of people having problems with SpeedTree and VRay, and your tests are not showing (I've been doing some tests myself and haven't found any problems so far...)

Ok, I'll stop asking... :)

It's all in the thumbnail Rick :)

Just mouse over the thumbnail and you will see the rendering time....

tis' very self explainatory:

_BVS_02-(time in minutes then seconds).jpg

_BVS_03-("x" as in ranking of speed)-shadow setting-time.jpg

One VRay light (planar), one spot light (target).

BTW, the original resolution is 1280x1024, I have to scale them down to lower res for the forum.

Another one, this one only takes 7 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Hallo...

I don't know if it's too late for making a question in this tread...

but I'm testing Vray with speedtree... and my rendering times are HUGe...

I tried with different methods... standard materials... vray material with refract and ior1.0... vray blend materials (it didn't work at all)...

but seems that I can't decrease rendering times... (20 min for a 800*600 with AA)...

how you solved this problem?

thanks in advance,

Gabriella

I found most time consuming part is the shadow generation. The difference is huge if selected the "wrong" shadow generation.

If you use Speed-shadow, it's probably the fastest, cos it's just a low quality shadow map. The nicest shadow is VRay Area Shadow, which is incredibly slow. Comparing them, VRay Area Shadow is 5 TIMES SLOWER than Normal VRay shadow. (7 minutes vs 35 minutes, and speed-shadow ais about 5 minutes)

So get your shadow right..

I also tweak my rendering setting slightly, but if you follow the VRay forum thread at Chaoticdimension, you should be alright. There are many optimisation methods there.

Hi Ricardo...

My scene has a quite large amount of trees... 30/40...

but i'm making some test only with one tree :( and the rendertimes are awful...

Now I changed the shadows type from area to normal vrayshadows, and I have 4 min, with AA simple 1 2 and one direct light...

But I think it's still a lot of time...

I'm using a Vray material with the opacity map in the refract slot...

I've also reduced the maxdepth...

obviously I've read nearly all the topics in the chaos forum, but I found nothing...

you have found a faster way?

thaks,

GA

Thanks richard...

I was writing the message while you posted your reply :)

Now I see that's exaclty the problem I have... the area shadows, that are wonderful in vray, are terribly slow using opacity...

I'm tweaking lot of settings, but less than 4 min for one tree I can't get (without losing quality...)

but I am still learning..

cheers

Gabriella

4 minutes seems about right, but yeh, if you are going to render that many trees, ofcourse it's going to be slow, there isn't anyway to avoiding it.

One way to make it faster, is to use 2D Trees for the distant tree objects.. This will work if your are just rendering for an image or the camera doesn't get up close..or camera doesn't flying overhead and lookiing directly down. Using 2D stand in tree should speed up a lot. (less geometry and opacity map to process)

What a speed answer!!

what time is now in Australia? :) I hope it's not late night :)

Whatever, thanks a lot for your answers...

I was worried about doing something wrong, but I now that simply I have to found a simpler way to do it...

hmm, my english get worst everyday :)

Let's hope to the next relase of vray.

cheers,

Gabry

I know, my bad english strikes again...

I HAVE to find a simpler way... but I haven't found yet... :)

with max scanline I use three different lights... one for the plant shadows one for the plants lights and one for the buildings.. in this way, using speedshadow for the first light the times were Very low... but I don't know if that works with GI...

let's try it :)

bye,

Gabry

I found a neat little script that do automatic Level of detail based on distance to camera, I am not sure if it will work with Speedtree, but it sure is handy for large scene. On 2nd thought, it might be worth it to modify it a little like my previous mention idea (replacing complex tree with Planar tree map)

http://www.geocities.com/naked3d/CamDistMultiRes.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now I got the entire scene in 20 min...

with all the trees, all the reflections... all the AA (but low.. I'm rendering at 1500X1200)

Only a little tweaking on the settings...

I noticed also one more thing... standard material with Vraymap on reflection slot are SLooooooow...

Your script seems interesting... but the simplified mesh is obiovously view dependent... It it possible to restore the previous mesh ?

Gabry

Well... I don't really know :)

But I was lowering all the settings, and finally I get a very good rendering time...

I see that in Vray it is very important to set the material in a proper way... the glossy reflections are very time consumer... and often you don't see them!

The setting of my plants are very basic, diffuse material with black color and TGA in the slot..

I noticed that if I check in the Alpha source the Image Alpha (instead of none,opaque) the trees result more darker and more real... I was having the problem of washed out trees, but, in this way, the problem has gone.

Note that in the reflect slot, in the bitmap options the alpha source MUST be checked... But perhaps it's obvious...

Max depth 5 and subd 5... I noticed that I don't need more...

One direct light, vray shadows, UVW 600 (I work in cm) and 6 subd

Ah, my trees are almost all RT and some MD(density in speedtree)...

I also noticed that the RT is good even for closed up...

That's all...

Gabry

Sounds cool :)

post a few image for us :D

yeh the reason I like speedtree is because it's got good model even for low polygon ones....I hope in the next version, IDV software will make speedtree even faster by implementing Level of detail base on camera distance for their speedtree! Well this has already been implemented in their realtime engine (1 million trees on screen demo) but hasn't gone into as a MAX plugin feature yet :(

Hallo again...

Today haven't time to do so more test... I can send you a very little image on what I'm working on...

The model needs more detail... but I'm waiting for the final client's requests..

Here there are nearly 30 trees/bushes...

whew.. still a lot of work to do...

The second image was made with scanline... another project with lots of trees...

Gabry

• 3 years later...