Couple of NPR works in progress for comments

1274889548.jpg

Studio/Institution: CLewis Design+Viz
Genre: Commercial Exterior
Software: Sketchup, Max and Photoshop
Description:

Here are a couple of projects I've been working on to get some constructive feedback on how to keep improving my work. All were modeled in Sketchup and brought into Max to Render and finsihed in Photoshop. Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Chris "Archytextural" Lewis

CLewis Design+Viz

I like the 3rd composite the best, though I am not certain of the camera angle. It seems like the front door, or at least a major access point is hidden by the corner of the foreground building.

My eye so gets pulled back into the dark right center of that image, even though I think it is supposed to be centered on the lower portion of the tower that is off to the left center of the image.

I like the style, but the final levels are dark for my taste.

I lik the color tones of the second render, but two things have to be improved i think :

- The dark areas on the right (the trees) are too dark, it's too distracting.

- I'd suggest you remove the rooftop on the foreground, it hidding the entrance of the building. You can eventuelly just represent it with thin lines.

About the other images, the style is interesting, but as said on the previous post, the dark areas are "too dark".

Edited by Newke

Thought this looked familiar, and then I saw that you are in Portland - is this North Pearl? Like the technique, but the composition and lighting especially need some work. Of the two, I like the warmer tones of the second image.

With camera placement I try to avoid a 45-degree angle (in plan) when looking at the building corner, it's almost always better to emphasize one elevation over the other. And the light levels on the left & right sides are too similar, and so there is not emphasis there either. The lighting in the MAX render favors the right elevation, but in PS you've dulled down the shadowing too much and lost the "punch". If you can get away with it, it might be worth omitting the large building off-camera to the right so that the entrance / streetscape are not in shadow. You could also look at a steeper sun angle (not recommended but could work) or bring the sun around to the right or left, whichever way works to get sunlight on the building entrance.

Don't know if the taller adjacent building is part of the project or not - if not you may want to back off on some of its detail, if it is then it seems like we should see the whole thing and punch up the lighting on the short building to maintain its focus. Back to composition, what is the focus of the rendering? This camera position does a good job of explaining the architectural massing, etc. of the building, but not what it feels like to be there. Perhaps you could look at a street-level viewpoint that would emphasize the building approach from a more natural point of view. It's a tight space to be sure, you may have to omit some of the neighboring buildings to get a viewpoint that is flattering to the overall project.

There is a lot of detail in the background building at the right edge of the frame, but the buildings to the left are just white boxes - it would help if both sides had a more similar treatment.

Definitely lose the foreground box at the lower right (if you can) and lighten up the forecourt at the right center of the image. Seems like this street is a big amenity for the project and should be showcased accordingly.

Greens & blues are very desaturated in the warm scheme, and cyan is too dominant in the cool scheme. Try to develop a color contrast within the image to get a good balance of cool and warm colors. The trees left and right would be a good opportunity to bring in some more color.

I hope this is helpful to you, I really like the project and this is certainly a good start!

Edited by Scott Baumberger

thanks for the feedback scott. It's not a portland project but a firm here in town did design it. Currently I'm playing around with the images to work on my rendering technique and boost my portfolio since I'm currently out of work. The view is not the most ideal, and this was just a quick excercise to warm up a little. I'm currentlt working on revisiting the project and picking a couple of better views and maybe even creating a tutorial if it works out well. All of the buildings with detailing are part of the project and the blank ones in the back left are for context. I'll keep you posted as things progress and thanks for the tips. I've admired your work, and am even a fan on facebook. It's nice to have such good talent here in town.