To lens flare or not to lens flare, that's my dumb question.

braddewald

I have seen many a lens flare completely ruin an otherwise nice rendering. It's a horribly misused effect, IMHO. I'm not saying NEVER use one, but use them very carefully. Try to refer to photos that are similar to your rendering and mimic the lens flares you see there. The stock photoshop filter produces pretty lame lens flares that are difficult to control and properly place. Knoll Light Factory is a great tool for better lens flares. If you have to use Photoshop's though, render the flare onto it's own layer so you can resize it, place it accurately, and erase parts of it that are undesirable.

Well, I have an angled kitchen hood that's very "flat looking" despite its mirror-finish. It ends up reflecting a white wall and thus giving it a flat, white reflection. I've tried using gradients in photoshop to give it a more chrome-like sheen, but with little effect. Adding a lens flare (105mm at around 50% brightness) seems to give it a pretty good "metallic shine" when placed correctly and subtly fading it in.

I'll play devils advocate, 99% of the time they are used incorrectly.... but I will say that it's not always wrong to use them (1%), but to be warned......Use with caution, my recommendation is that the only good lens flares are the ones that you don't immediately notice. If it's blended well enough it will work but if you're sticking it in the scene as a "hey look at me!" then read all the other posts that have so poetically said NO!

Edited by BrianKitts

i remember when flares was the coolest and newest thing ever, there was flares everywhere, then the Glow took his place, Lot of glow+flares... good times.

If u really really really really want flares, try VideoCopilot optical flares or Final Flares from cebas.

I think you should use them. have no fear of them, use them properly and don't over do them. it's an element that exists in reality in every photo and film around there. so if some photographers spend a LOT of money trying to get rid of it, well they must have their reasons, but believe me in the film and visualization industry they are a must have to enhance drama and realism to your scene. DO IT!!!! break the rules!!!! my personal opinion

• 3 weeks later...