Painted Concrete?

RyanSpaulding

A good way to start might be to open a concrete texture in Photoshop, create a layer above the base layer, set the color, and then set it to a color transfer mode. You might also try a few other layer transfer modes, but color is where I would start. Then just use it in the diffuse slot like you would a normal concrete texture, and adjust the other parameters according to the paint finish.

depending on if it is farther away from the camera I have been just setting my diffuse with a little roughness to it (.1 - .33), putting a texture map on it and making sure that I have down something with a specular map... whether it is a noise map or just popping the concrete texture into the slot and altering its ouput... just so it doesn't reflect light uniformly.

depending on if it is farther away from the camera I have been just setting my diffuse with a little roughness to it (.1 - .33), putting a texture map on it and making sure that I have down something with a specular map... whether it is a noise map or just popping the concrete texture into the slot and altering its ouput... just so it doesn't reflect light uniformly.

James, you mention that materials can be effected by how far away the camera is from the object. Could you elaborate on this a little for me? I am experiencing flatness of colour with a wall colour/texture but I haven't considered camera distance.

James, you mention that materials can be effected by how far away the camera is from the object. Could you elaborate on this a little for me? I am experiencing flatness of colour with a wall colour/texture but I haven't considered camera distance.

I think what he means is the further away the camera is, the higher he sets the roughness setting. If you're close to the material, a low setting will result in visual roughness. If you are far away, you'll need the setting to be higher in order to see roughness from that distance.

I think what he means is the further away the camera is, the higher he sets the roughness setting. If you're close to the material, a low setting will result in visual roughness. If you are far away, you'll need the setting to be higher in order to see roughness from that distance.

Sorry, I know I wasn't too clear... I was actually trying to say that the farther away you are from painted concrete, the less texture is apparent in it. So if you are looking at painted concrete from a few hundred meters away, you might just get away with a diffuse colour, a specular and bump map... don't worry too much about the texture reading, focus on diffuse and reflections. With distance details are lost and we rely on colour and reflection information to identify objects and materials.

if you are a few meters away you might want to look at adding some displacement and a few more details...

farther away... diffuse, bump and specular

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37567[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37568[/ATTACH]

and close up I usually add some displacement

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37570[/ATTACH]

Edited by jinsley