System recomendations for first year arch students

Hi everyone

I´m writing some material for a first course on Viz 2005 at my school. Along with that I was asked to do a piece of paper with basic recomendations on what to buy as a new student taking this and similar courses

I am looking for recomendations for systems running formZ, 3d studio and the usual layout and picture editing software. In three system/price categories "basic", "so so", and "not bad" - with a Stationary and a laptop subcategory in each.

Not nessecarily specifics but weighting of the different components and general feature-set.

I know the subject has a lot of unknown variables but any help is appeciated.

u can go 4 a P4 2.8 or 3GHz.....with 512 MB RAM n a good graphic card...

512 mb ram is enough 4 students ... but more ram give less time in rendering....try to get one good AGP card, with OpenGL support...

insted of P4 u can go 4 AMD also, its little bit cheap according to Intel Pentium.....AMD athlon XP 2800,, will be a good choice,,,working 3d on a laptop is very difficult....there r special workstation laptops, but its price ,,,,,,WHEEEEEE....

The only minimum reqs I would recommend is 512MB RAM, a 64MB Graphics Card, and 40GB hard drive.

Any computer they purchase now is going to have a suitable processor, and probably even a decent graphics card, so the RAM is where the biggest issue will be. (Dell's cheapest models only sport 128MB - hardly enough to run anything these days!) The hard drive space seems like a lot, until that student tries an animation project and completely fills the drive!