Wha??? How is this zero proxy poly count even possible????

landrvr1

Watch this vid.

The guy converts what looks to be a somewhat poly heavy series of meshes into a proxy, but then gets ZERO POLYS.

??? WTF ???

I'm at a total loss to explain how this is possible. Maybe I just don't understand how to create a proxy??? How does one get down to ZERO POLYGONS? lol.

a proxy is essentially just a referenced file that is loaded at render time, because it's loaded at render time then it's technically not in your scene while you work meaning it will show as being zero poly's as it doesn't exist until you hit the render button

check the tutorials that ship with max :)

Well, I'm been using proxies for quite some time but I've NEVER seen them at zero polys. In fact, just one proxy using bounding box view is going to naturally show up as at least 12 polys.

I don't get how this guy gets ZERO.

??

In fact, given what proxy files are, why would there not always be zero polygons in the stats list??????

Watch that vid.

That's really odd.... I have no idea how he did that, because when you add a vray proxy to your scene you'll have the number of polys that you set in the mesh export options for the "faces in preview" value of the proxy.

Even if you switch the proxy display to bounding box you have 12 polys, and switching the preview to a point, you still have one vertex and one poly.

I'm dumbfounded. might be a good question to throw on the chaos group forums.

What do you do when you got a procedural mat and a texture on the same object? I converted one of my object to proxy which contain a glass mat too. so I just cant use glass or any other material ?

Or do I need to detach first and then export them?

I hope this is not the only way to save different mat!