Max 2011, where did select material go?

Devin Johnston

In past versions of Max if you wanted to put a material into the editor that was already in the scene you could select it by picking the object, selecting the get material button and go to the selected materials option. With the new editor I can only find the scene materials option, is this selection set gone or is there a way to bring it back?

No i think its more the "filter" when you did the Get Material ball in the old style, there was options to filter the list by Scene, Selected Objects, or Material Library..

i'm curious also, as i used that all the time before.

currently i'm just using a script that stuffs the sample balls with the selected objects materials instead, since the sample balls are sort of an afterthought in the new slatey ui

No i think its more the "filter" when you did the Get Material ball in the old style, there was options to filter the list by Scene, Selected Objects, or Material Library..

Exactley because the picking tool is a little hard to use on some objects, I don't know why they would take out something like that, it's so useful.

The "get from selection" functionality has changed location but is still there. It's easy to miss though. Each of the rollouts have their own right click menu in the new map browser. So if you right click on anything other than "scene materials" then you won't see this option.

There is an option to "filter selected objects" which does exactly what you're looking for.

The "get from selection" functionality has changed location but is still there. It's easy to miss though. Each of the rollouts have their own right click menu in the new map browser. So if you right click on anything other than "scene materials" then you won't see this option.

There is an option to "filter selected objects" which does exactly what you're looking for.

Ok, IMO Chris wins todays cookie of eternal gratitude! :thumb:

You can revert to the old Browser if you want. Close 3ds Max/Design, search for the SME.ini (in XP64, C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg), and set:

ShowMtlBrowser=0
UseOldMtlBrowser=1

Launch Max and when you launch the Material Browser (Render > Material/Map Browser or hotkey M) you should get the old Browser. If you then enable the in Slate Browser you can actually use both at the same time.

-Eric

getting a new material or shader took for ages here, I even found myself working on my old (slow) pc with max 2010, but finaly I can work without having to wait for minutes each time I choose a new material of map. really appriciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Similar question, Is there a way to have the Scene Materials list display 'Incompatible Materials'

Having vray as a renderer, and using the filter for selected objects, when the selected object has a ProMaterial just comes up blank.. and using the damn eyedropper is annoying as hell, I dont want to have to mess up my isolation selection set just to fetch a damn material.

Similar question, Is there a way to have the Scene Materials list display 'Incompatible Materials'

Yep. Keep in mind unlike traditional windows the new material browser has multiple different right click menus that come up based on the context of what you right clicked on. In this case "show incompatible" is more of a global option so you can right click on the down arrow to the left of "Search by Name" or in any empty space if your rollouts are rolled up.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, this continues to be profoundly annoying.

I could have sworn the Scene Materials category was there last week. I can populate all scene materials in the View, but navigating 85 rendered materials to find the one I want is rather impractical. perhaps it would be nice if there was a filter by selected in the view as well? Maybe by right-click is broken :)

Edited by John Dollus

• 3 weeks later...
You can revert to the old Browser if you want. Close 3ds Max/Design, search for the SME.ini (in XP64, C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg), and set:
ShowMtlBrowser=0
UseOldMtlBrowser=1

Launch Max and when you launch the Material Browser (Render > Material/Map Browser or hotkey M) you should get the old Browser. If you then enable the in Slate Browser you can actually use both at the same time.

-Eric

DISCO!

Eric, you da man!

I had just about gone histerical trying to figure out how to do something as simple as pull up the material of the object currently selected with the new 2011 material/map browser interface.

I hadn't cussed so much at my computer since the time I woke up to find a Windows welcome screen after an 8-hour render I setup got wiped clean due to an automatic update running and restarting my computer for me sometime while I slept overnight.

The Slate Material Editor is fine - I'll start with that learning curve eventually. But the Material/Map Browser too? Come on Autodesk. Don't f-up my whole entire workflow! :mad: Takes too long to learn where stuff is, and then master it. This new M/M Browser doesn't seem like it will save me any time at all. But then, maybe I'm just starting to get to where I want my stuff to work how it always has. I don't mind new features being added, but when you change a car from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, a brotha gets thrown for a loop.

Guess that sort of stuff just really starts bothering you once you hit 40.