Cleanup of a 3d max file. HELP!!!!!

michaelidesm

Greetings all. I am working on a model that is not particularly heavy but the actual max file is enormous. It is just under 500mb, but the wierd this is that if i delete all the elements in the file, the size of the file is still about 380mb. Thats 380mb for a blank 3ds max file. How can i get rid of the huge volume. I have already unhidden all objects and deleted everything in order to test from where is that size coming from but still no luck. Is there a similar command like purge in autocad where you could get rid of all unused info contained in a file?

Many Thanks...

it must have some kind of model/line data in the file somewhere. i'd go through this list and double check you have no extraneous data somewhere.

- make sure you have unhidden all layers

- make sure you have unfrozen all

- make sure you have all types of object visible (geometry, splines, helpers etc)

- run a garbage collection?

- try merging the file into a new file to see if it imports any objects?

if all else fails, try 'save selected' the objects you definately want, merge them into a new files and trasfer your settings...

M

Hi Matt. Many thanks for your reply. I have tried what you suggested, but no change. Imagine that if i select one wall or tree or window and save selected in a different file then that file weighs 376mb. i am starting to think that its something to do with the specific file. what do you mean by garbage collection?

Scenes will often take weeks to fully develop and are open and closed by several people may make many edits along the way. All this activity has a tendency to leave remnants of commands and objects in the file, which can slow production.

Entering gc() in the Maxscript listener window at the bottom left of the display, and pressing Enter can often purge the current file from much of this unnecessary data. Figure 5.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38015[/ATTACH]

Figure 5: Garbage collection with Maxscript can reduce file sizes and make scenes more efficient.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/article29_TB.asp

I don't think thats what he meant, its the file size is very big to use and slowing down.

Not storing it.

Could be wrong , generally am.

phil

phil

You can reduce the size of your max files by:

1. Going to the max preferences

2. Go to the 'Files' tab

3. Check 'compress on save'

Your files will now have a much smaller file size.

Hope this helps!

Simon Blakeney

save selected each object seperately until you find the culprit. if it is an object with a huge modifier stack collapse the stack and see, if that helps. if not, collaps ethe object to editable poly, go to element sub obj level, detach as copy, save selected the newly created copy. that should fix the filesize.

Firstly thanks to all who read and posted on this thread.

However i have tried what has been suggested so far with no luck so basicaly i am thinking it is not a normal senario. And to solve this situation i decided to regenerate the 3D model. And this is where the funny thing is: i tried to xref the cameras that existed on the previous file so as to keep the same viewponts, and just by importing the cameras and merging them into the scene (only the cameras nothing else!!!!) the file size grew by 360mb. It must be some sort of a bug in that specific file that i causing this.

we had this problem recently as well - but it was from reactor storing collision data.

the file size was massive and would come in even if you merged a material from the 'infected' file into a new file. clearing the reactor tab of collisions fixed it.

took a while to work out! i was convinced it was the motion mixer bug.

great fun.

Many Thanks Nils for your reply. The thread you sugested solved the problem with the huge file size. It was only a matter of saving it as new file without the hierarchy. This reduced the file size by 80%. Many thanks to you and to all who posted on this thread.

• 8 months later...

it's a bit late, but having myself this kind of problem, i have a few other solution, usualy one of them should do the work, typicaly for file that take long to save and use a lot of ram/disk space, and inexplicable empty scene who weight a few hundred mega after inporting and deleting.

1/file -> new -> keep objects and hierarchy

2/ http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10078426&linkID=9241177

3/ http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10377296&linkID=9241177

4/ http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15099464&linkID=9241177

good luck

marc

3dimagine visualisation studio

www.3dimagineitnow.com

Excellent info. Although i usually use the file-new-keep object etc, the other options look very promising. Have you tried the other options? On what max version? When the state a certain max version do they imply that newer versions are incompatible with the script? Sorry if i am hassling you. I am only asking because it seems that you have done your "homework".

• 10 months later...