Why is the new Material Map Browser so slow!

Devin Johnston

Hey Maxer, Are you referring to actual Browser, and not the new material editor? If so...

Mine feels like it is quite fast and nice. I am actually happy with it, and I am not easy to please. The link is to a video of it opening and closing. The material editor takes awhile to load because I have a handful of 30megs site maps in the slots, but after that I am up and running smoothly.

As a side note, I seem to have disabled the node based material editor, and I would like to get that back. Though maybe this is why it is running fast, because it is not being used with the node editor?

I did do a little tweaking around, but I don't think I really changed anything. I will test it on one of our unmodifiedmachines to see if it runs as fast as what it does on mine.

I couldn't get a decent compression on my screen recording so I just uploaded the video with little compression. It is 281mb's.

http://www.phase22.com/misc/cgarchitect/MatBrowser.avi

Maybe that has something to do with it. I always use an icon instead of a material preview, even in the old style browser. Loading the materials for the preview has always been slow for me, so I am used to never doing it unless necessary.

What is odd, even if I tell it to use an icon instead of teapot, it never actually renders.

I know there is a way to turn off the new material browser, and simply use the old one instead. I do like how the new one pre-loads my libraries so I don't have to locate them.

to get the old/faster material browser back

from this thread http://forums.cgarchitect.com/61029-max-2011-where-did-select-material-go.html

You can revert to the old Browser if you want. Close 3ds Max/Design, search for the SME.ini (in XP64, C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg), and set: Code:

ShowMtlBrowser=0

UseOldMtlBrowser=1

Launch Max and when you launch the Material Browser (Render > Material/Map Browser or hotkey M) you should get the old Browser. If you then enable the in Slate Browser you can actually use both at the same time.