Vray Distributed Rendering issues

Mike T

For some mysterious reason I'm unable to get DR to work.

This is my setup:

I have a main work station running XP 32, with max 2010 32bit, and vray 1.5sp4

I have 2 machines (about to be 4 if i can get DR running) for DR. 1 is a xp 64, the other xp32.

I've added the 2 render nodes (servers) to DR setup and they resolve. I can even ping the other computers and they ping just fine. The spawner works and is running fine on the two computers. I get No DR buckets, "no host for DR".

I've been using Vray and max for 5 years in an office, and networking has always been iffy. I'm setting this up at home and its been a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestion. HELP PLEASE:

fixed IP on your workstations?

Calling machines by their IP instead of station names usually works better.

Also, to get everything working fine in DR, you should send a test Backburner render file first, so all the needed files are there.

( sorry to ask this.. but if it is not a legal version of Vray, DR will not work, even if you started DR on the slaves machines. just trying to find the problem. Of course, if you have a legal version, discard this option)

Distributed rendering only works with render nodes (PC's) that have been used to render jobs in Backburner first. I don't know the technical reason for this, but that is how Vray DR works.

The probem you may have is that 64-bit Backburner jobs can only be rendered on 64-bit PC's. If one of your PC's is 32-bit, then it can only handle jobs submitted as 32-bit through Backburner. Therefore, you will only be able to use Vray DR with the 32-bit version of 3dsmax.

I've got the same situation with several of my workstations, so I can sympathize with your situation. Upgrading all operating systems to 64-bit is the only solution, as far as I know.

Good Luck

TimF

Tim, I have a mix of 32 and 64 bits, and that since a few years, and DR jobs are going through correctly. If that would be the issue, at least his 32 bits machines would kick in, as the main workstation is 32 bits. Mabee in his situation, just as the one you had, a little more trouble shooting could be done before switchine OS.

It seems that my issue is unfix-able for right now. I'm able to net render the scene on backburner just fine ( some missing maps issues on one machine but that's another problem).

I will have to give it up and just remote into the office and render it there. I do know the problem and you guys have answered it which I'm grateful of. I should be able to fix it in about a month;)

***i will eventually have to upgrade to 64bit which I've been wanting to do for a few years but I'm terrified of it. With the migration of everything and compatibility. It is for the better though if you want to max out the cores.

Thank you guys for the help