Renders completely black in AE

ARTillery

hello,

I've started rendering my scene with vray and I have a big problem, my renders appear either completely black or with some white dots(looks like AA samples) on a transparent bg.

I'm rendering to an EXR file format with max 2011.

when I load these render files into the ram players it display normally with no problem what so ever.

when I put an exposure effect to the file and lowered the exposure substantially, the white dots turned to their normal colors, but the image still transparent.

I'm kinda new to vray( haven't used it for a while, a big one :) ) so I'm kinda lost here of what am I doing wrong?

since i don't have any clue on what could might be the problem I don't know which info I should provide so I'm happy to answer if anyone wants more information about the file.

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

By the title of your thread, you´re taking your renders to After Effects, am I correct? If so, when you import your .EXR sequence, before doing anything else, right on the sequence and choose "interpret footage" from the popup. Play with options for the alphas. I hope it helps. good luck.

thanks for the reply.yes I meant aftereffects, sorry i wasn't clear enough.

unfortunately it's not an alpha thing, I think it have to do with how vray communicate with Exr exporter in max, at least that's what i decided i'm convinced with after I got no solution to my problem.

i'll see if i can upload a frame when i get back to work to show what I mean.

now these I've tried all, all bad results, did it work alright with you on the other formats?

I tried changing storage type, also no good.

right now I render to a png until I find a solution, never had any problems with EXR with mentalRay, I'm not really hung up on EXR but I'd like a 32 bit format to save too.. give better results at composting,so If you know another format that works, I'm all ears.