980x vs Xeon 5650 for (3ds Max-VRAY)

Can anyone tell me what a big difference is in speed between

Intel 980x and Xeon 5650? I want to use it for Vray in 3d Studio Max.

980x is clocked higher at 3.33 and Xeon 5650 is clocked at 2.66.

What about 980x vs 2x Xeon 5650?

Is there a big difference?

thanks.

These chips are so similar you can just compare total clock speed to total clock speed.

980X: 3.33GHz (for single threaded ops like normal Max tasks)

X5650: 2.66GHz

2x X5650: 2.66GHz

So the 980x is 3.33/2.66 = 1.25x as fast in single threaded operations.

For rendering, you total the GHz, so:

980x: 3.33GHz * 6 = 20GHz

X5650: 2.66GHz * 6 = 16GHz

2x X5650: 2.66GHz * 12 = 32GHz

And there you have it. Render speed proportional to total GHz, when the chips are of the same architecture and assuming the RAM is adequate and the MB isn't total crap.

thanks for your reply,

in your opinion,

is 2x5650 Xeon worth over 1x980x?

there is a big difference in a cost. if 980x finishes rendering 30 seconds later, it would not be a big difference to me. Also, I don't know 3d studio max and Vray handles better a single and dual cpu.

thanks.

They're both HT CPUs, and HT doesn't really double the effective speed of the CPU, so for my spreadsheet that compares across architectures I just have i7s tested with HT on and it gets factored in that way. But since both CPUs have HT you don't need to account for it.

Whether the extra power is worth it to you, depends on how much your time is worth and how often you hit the render button. Some people will find that cutting the render time is worth it, others won't.

Can any one explain me how to choose right processor I'm also planning to purchase a new system so kindly pls guide me as Dell has quoted me for Intel® Xeon® W3550 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache/4.8GT/s what is the major thing we need to speed up the system and also to get quality render in less time. Kindly pls help me in this.........

Manoj Upadhyay

That's a 3.06GHz quad core i7. A capable processor, not as fast at rendering as, say, a 6-core i7. My concern would be that since it's a Xeon instead of an i7 (a meaningless distinction when looking at the W3000-series CPUs that can't be used in dual-CPU configs) you might be looking at an unnecessarily expensive "workstation" (a marketing word that sometimes indicates a line of computers that they'll sell with "pro" video cards and sometimes means nothing practical at all). What's the rest of the config?

I can't speak in detail to the market outside the US, but you can see what I recommend at: http://www.3datstech.com/2010/10/october-2010-workstations.html - these are specs, not manufacturer specific.

thanks for replies,

here is configuration that I am thinking about:

processor: 980x or Xeon 5650

graphics card: Quadro 4000 or 480 gtx (but I will go with quadro more likely)

RAM: 12 GB

some kind of liquid cooling and that's another area I don't know about.

I want a computer for Vray / 3ds Max rendering, video editing, and music creation

I feel like I run in circles. Nvidia did a great job confusing me with these workstations and new video cards.

I don't know if it is true about new Intel 995 but it is possible.

With Xeon, dual cpu I would get 24 threads but at what costs and does it really make a big difference in comparison to 980x clocked higher?

Also, dual cpu probably means that machine is hotter and louder and probably needs 24GB ram. I don't know exactly how it works.

thanks.

Liquid cooling is tricky. The upside is your CPU will be cooler; however, this is only useful for extreme overclocking and if that's not your plan, there's no compelling reason for it. The downsides are that it's more expensive; more complex (more parts to break) and (the fairly small probability that) it can leak, which can damage components.

Silence is much easier to get from a quiet air cooler. In general, the larger the fan, the quieter (larger fans require fewer RPMs). For example, something like this: http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=11&id=108 with a fan like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185005&cm_re=scythe_s-flex-_-35-185-005-_-Product (fluid dynamic bearing fans are the quietest) is very effective and essentially silent.

Alot of companies like HP and Dell are offering liquid cooling as an option. These liquid cooling systems are either cool-it or Corsair systems, both good. I would get these over an ir cooler any day, just for the fact there is less weight on the chip and motherboard and less to clean up like dust.

Also, I would grab the Quadro 4000 if you really want a Quadro card. You may go spec around HP's Z workstations. I was actually looking at them earleir today and had a Z400 with 980x with Quadro 4000, 12gigs ram for little over $3000.

Thanks Andrew Thanks alot kindly pls guide me a good configuration for Rendering purpose I need a system where rendering gets faster and also which comes under budget. Kindly pls help me in that I have kept Dell on hold for the time being so that If I'm spending money then I should also get best machine. Kindly help me in that.

Andrew what about Intel xeon w3565 3.20Ghz 8mb cache 5.86 GT/s QPI Turbo HT 4c with 12GB(6x2)DDR3 SDRam 1333Mhz, window 7 64 bit os, 320*2 Sata Hard disk 7200 RPM with nVidia Quadro FX580. Kindly suggest me I don't have that much budget it only reaching to +1,00,000 Rs. will it give me good renders in less time????????????

Manoj Upadhyay

A Xeon W-series is an i7 with a different name - if you find the equivalent i7 and it's cheaper, get that instead. Also, the Quadro 580 is very weak and it's old technology, get a Geforce 400 series or Radeon 5000 series instead. If the budget is tight you can easily get away with 6gb instead of 12gb.

James Which is the best one I'm very much confused I'v ordered Dell T3500 Workstation with Intel xeon W3550 and 6*2 GB Ram and 320*2 Hard disk and 580x nVidia graphic card. Kindly pls guide me the best because I'v hold them to deliver that kindly guide me to get the best system.

I don't know your market, how that system prices relative to other options or what else is available to you, but I think I already told you my opinions and that the Quadro 580 is quite weak and for the money you're better off with a newer, better Geforce or Radeon. Unfortunately a company like Dell believes that if it's not a Quadro or FirePro it won't run Max, so they put you into a category called "workstation" which is marketing talk for "expensive".