V-Ray 2.0 Purchases and Upgrades

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

If you're thinking of upgrading to V-Ray 2.0 or purchasing V-Ray 2.0, please help support CGarchitect by purchasing from the CGarchitect Visualization Shoppe. All sales in our shoppe help ensure this site can continue to operate.

http://shop.cgarchitect.com/vray-20-upgrade.html

Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
If I purchased the Summer Bundle, when should I expect my license upgrade cause I want to play with 2.0! Unless I am missing something?

If it's not already in your account now, I would expect it tomorrow. I know I was shown a copy of the email that will go out tomorrow letting everyone know 2.0 is ready for download. I know I have access to 2.0 in my account now, but they may have just been testing the system before the system wide launch.

If it's not already in your account now, I would expect it tomorrow. I know I was shown a copy of the email that will go out tomorrow letting everyone know 2.0 is ready for download. I know I have access to 2.0 in my account now, but they may have just been testing the system before the system wide launch.

Sounds good! Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
If we want to buy an extra dongle for 2.0 what is the best way to go about doing that? We bought two copies of 2.0 and one copy of PDPlayer, however we only got one dongle (yes the instructions did say that only one dongle would be shipped).

Thanks,

Wow, that's a trip. After trying to reply to your email this morning it bounced as the email you provided does not exist, nor does the domain. I did a bit of detective work and found two others for you and literally pressed send as you submitted this post. Can you email me at shop@cgarchitect.com with the email address you are currently using and I'll send you the info.

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone.

For the last few years I have been learning 3D with my brother and have started producing images. He is now moving away and and is obviously taking his Vray dongle with him.

In the UK, Vray 2.0 seems to be the only product available and is being sold at around £820 per license. I cannot nearly afford this (and obviously cannot produce CGIs to pay for it). I have looked into buying another copy of Vray 1.5 but found that is is impossible.

Why do software companies not allow you to buy older versions such as 1.5 at a cheaper rate!? This makes sense for skilled individuals who wish to make a dent in the market. As it stands, pricing seems to favour big studios with big bucks but I suppose that's the game!

If anybody has any information on resellers that deal with old versions of Vray, please let me know as I'll snap it up. Otherwise, a brief explanation of why older versions are unavailable would suffice.

Many thanks.

• Administrators
Hello Everyone.

For the last few years I have been learning 3D with my brother and have started producing images. He is now moving away and and is obviously taking his Vray dongle with him.

In the UK, Vray 2.0 seems to be the only product available and is being sold at around £820 per license. I cannot nearly afford this (and obviously cannot produce CGIs to pay for it). I have looked into buying another copy of Vray 1.5 but found that is is impossible.

Why do software companies not allow you to buy older versions such as 1.5 at a cheaper rate!? This makes sense for skilled individuals who wish to make a dent in the market. As it stands, pricing seems to favour big studios with big bucks but I suppose that's the game!

If anybody has any information on resellers that deal with old versions of Vray, please let me know as I'll snap it up. Otherwise, a brief explanation of why older versions are unavailable would suffice.

Many thanks.

Hi Peter,

No reseller can sell 1.5 on its own as it's available to all existing customers as part of a purchase of V-Ray 2.0. In fact when you purchase the V-Ray 2.0 upgrade the license dongle allows you to run either 1.5 or 2.0 (just not concurrently). The only way to get 1.5 is to purchase the latest version of V-Ray. If you find anyone willing to sell only 1.5, I would not buy it as it will almost certainly be an illegal copy that Chaos Group will not support.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
Any idea what "The students/teachers are eligible for free license upgrades during the 1-year period" means? Do I get an upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 (I use V-Ray for Rhino)? Thanks for a great site!

/Martin

Hi Martin,

At the start of the month Chaos Group changed their policy on academic licenses and from this point forward all academic licenses expire after 1 year. Within that period you are eligible for free upgrades. After that year you are required to purchase a new 1 year license to continue use. Also any old perpetual licenses can no longer be upgraded and you are now required to purchase the new 1 year licenses to upgrade to the latest version.

If you have any other questions, you can contact me through our shop: shop@cgarchitect.com as we are a Chaos Group reseller and I can certainly help address any specific questions you have about the licenses you have.