advance my skills

max.m

I want to spend some time to advance my skills and knowledge in archviz. I am looking for blogs, tutorials, etc like Ronen Bekermans or Peter Guthries blogs.

I am although interrested in books, videotutorials, etc. you can recommend, like the products of 3dats.

Thank`s

I have found over the last two years, that building a stronger base in cg art has helped me far more than just simply focusing on Max and rendering...

I have a yearly subscription to gnomon, I spend a lot of time listening to the lectures while I work and practice the techniques I have seen for matte painting, compositing etc... simply watching the work-flow of a lot of the artists featured at gnomon turned on a lot of light bulbs in my head and has improved my time management and images I produce.

I just stalk jinsley... he is a fantastic contributor & I've learnt so much from him and other similarly generous members here. This site has been incredibly helpful & the advice offered by the experienced artists deserves some thanks from those of us that hover quietly.

So thank you!

I just stalk jinsley... he is a fantastic contributor & I've learnt so much from him and other similarly generous members here. This site has been incredibly helpful & the advice offered by the experienced artists deserves some thanks from those of us that hover quietly.

So thank you!

+1 to that.

I just stalk jinsley...

only a little bit scary, but thank you for the kind words. :p

+1 for Brian's post, that set of tutorials available for free was one of my first read's... and even though I don't follow them step by step, they have a ton of information available in them.

and looking at the crew that instructs at cgschool, I would think that there would be a wealth of knowledge available there.

another great site I have read through time and time again:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm

it talks a lot about the theory behind visuals and their construction, great stuff.

and his site is home to the Soulburn scripts which have saved my butt time and time again.

thank`s for your replies,

first i also want to agree to shys post and say thank you all for taking the time and help others to go on.

this forum is also for me a great ressource of help.

especially i want to thank jinsley and brian smith for the tips and links.

the gnomon dvd`s are great and i will order a plan b.

also the cg schoolclasses look great. i will purchase some recorded classes.

I would recommend the full plan at Gnomon... but if you want to save a few dollars, plan 2 is a good place to start. Don't get overwhelmed by it... take the time to sit down and view all the sections and write yourself out some sort of a lesson plan... there is a lot of content to go through.

as i am doing archviz i am mainly interrested into matte painting, modelling, lighting etc.

unfortunately (for me) most of the tutorials in lighting, rendering,materials, etc are in maya or max+mr.

i am on max+vray, and have the lighting tuts of chris nichols yet.

but i think there is still enough interresting stuff in the matte painting section for me.

keep in mind that although the lighting, modeling, etc tuts might be for other software, the biggest benefit is to listen to the pros and learn from their knowledge of how light works, or how something can be created quickly... in general diffuse, specualr, bump maps that get used can be used with vray or mental ray or any other number of render engines... the big lesson is learning how to create those maps and apply them efficiently for production.