EXR File Problems

braddewald

I've been trying to start using a linear workflow and am already running into some problems. The image I rendered looks fine in the vray frame buffer with the sRGB button turned on but when I open it up in photoshop, it has some extreme color banding (see image- I think that's what it's called).

Also, I've been looking at other people's methods of saving EXR files from Max and it appears that my dialogue box is a bit different and I'm thinking that may be the culprit (see image). I also installed the trial version of ProEXR for Photoshop CS4 Extended.

Edited by braddewald

In photoshop, my colors appear kind of goofy when I open an exr as opposed to any other file type. A similar kind of color banding even appears on my color selector! Could this have something to do with it. (Also, the banding is a lot more noticeable on my screen when I open up the color picker than it is in the screenshot.)

I feel a bit like I'm talking to myself at this point, but I've made another peculiar discovery: when I switch the mode to 8-bit in photoshop (from 32-bit), the color banding disappears and the image looks correct. What could be causing this--is it my monitor not being able to reproduce all the colors from the full 32-bit image?

• 2 weeks later...