Real World Material Recreation - "waxy" look

braddewald

I need to create a finish for a cabinet that has a kind of "waxy" look to it, and I'm having trouble recreating it. I was wondering if anybody had a good method for creating those odd, broken up reflections that a waxed floor can give off. Here is an example of what I mean. The floor is obviously pretty flat, but the glossiness of the reflection looks broken up. Any idea as to how to recreate this in vray materials?

Would a noise map work in the reflection slot? The reflection glossiness slot? What should I do?

WaxedFloor.jpg

A noise in the bump. I'd try a blend or shellac material for the cabinet, so your varnish can have a slightly different highlight than the wood. The wood is polished then varnished, so the polished wood would have a soft highlight and the varnish is a sharp highlight, but can vary depending on if its a gloss, luster or matte varnish. Same with the reflection blur parameters. Very much like car-paint shader.

I think the relfective value of the floor is due to it being waxed... the distortion and broken reflection is through unevenness of the surface... looks like the reflections are pretty uniform, so I wouldn't use the reflection slot (except for some kind of spec map...)

The floor has two levels of distortion I think:

1. a gentle larger wave (large noise map)

2. and a smaller sharper wave that breaks up the relfections

I would try some kind of composite, that uses a very gentle noise map and wave map to break up the surface reflections in the bump slot and see what you come up with...

I did this really quick using the described technique... needs more noise map to do the gentle waves...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40525[/ATTACH]

pencil.png