Color callibration

vru

Hi

I have a Compaq presario 2570US laptop with the following Graphics and Display:

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 4X AGP

Graphics RAM: 64 MB

Display Diagonal Size: 15.0 inches

LCD Native Resolution: 1024-by-768

The problem is with blue color. The color i see blue on my laptop screen shows purple on other crt monitors. It also prints purple. Other colors also look a bit different but the problem is more with blue.

I am attaching a sample pic. The sky looks sky blue on my screen but purple on other monitors.

Please help.

Thanks

Vrushali

• Administrators

The other alternative is to edit the video card color settings (in your video card driver) until it matches what you see on yor other monitor where it does show as blue, or buy an LCD monitor calibrator like the ColorVision Spyder.

It's hard to tell whether it really is purple, your LCD screen is not calibrated, or if your other monitor is correct.

Go into Photoshop and post the RGB or HSV values for that purple. If you go by the numbers, it does not matter what your screen says we can see how it really looks. One other important factor is the color space you are working in. It does not matter, but for us to test the color we need to be in the same color space as the color lookup tables change from colorspace to colorspace. Ie the actual RGB values change as well.

In photoshop your colorspace settings are in Edit->Color settings

We need to know if color management is turned off or what the working space is (Adobe RGB etc.)

Go into Photoshop and post the RGB or HSV values for that purple. If you go by the numbers, it does not matter what your screen says we can see how it really looks.

I already did that for him, posted the result. I opened the file without applying any profile. The color is blue-ish. But it looks purple to everybody. So change the color.

Hi Vrushali,

I had a problem with my output having a greenish cast. I went to Walmart and printed a high-res jpeg out at their Kodak kiosk. Then I brought the image up on my monitor (a CRT) and adjusted the actual monitor controls for RGB until it matched the printed output.

If your laptop doesn't have "hardware" controls for the monitor, you'll have to do as Jeff suggested and go into the Advanced Display Properties settings and adjust things through the video driver. I find that LCD displays tend to be on the "cold" side of the color range - ie more toward the blue.

Hi All

I really appreciate you helping me. I have little knowledge of clor management and video card driver. So I am reading the posts again and again to figure it out.

I am attaching the color values and the color settings. I dont know anything about color settings. The color values are the same as posted by Ernest.

I have created the image from ArchiCAD. So I am wondering how I can change the color if the sky is more than just a plain color.

I am totally confused about this and also worried about changing the video card settings as I dont know how it works.

Thanks

Vrushali

• Administrators

Vrushali,

I did up some PDF documents last year explaining how to set up color calibration on your system, but please bear in mind that it's pretty much all or nothing. Doing only half the steps is worse than doing nothing at all.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showthread.php?t=900&highlight=Spyder

Also, I'm not sure if you have just changed your color settings, but until you understand the implications of what you are doing (read the PDF above) I'd set your Color management to off.

As far as editing your video card settings, don't worry about going to the color correction tab (or whatever it's called with your driver) and messing about. You can always reset it back to the default. Usually there is a button that does this.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Vrushali,

I had a problem with my output having a greenish cast. I went to Walmart and printed a high-res jpeg out at their Kodak kiosk. Then I brought the image up on my monitor (a CRT) and adjusted the actual monitor controls for RGB until it matched the printed output.

If your laptop doesn't have "hardware" controls for the monitor, you'll have to do as Jeff suggested and go into the Advanced Display Properties settings and adjust things through the video driver. I find that LCD displays tend to be on the "cold" side of the color range - ie more toward the blue.

Hi Fran

My prints have a yellow cast to them. I am not sure whether it is only on my HP printer.

I did not understand how you solved the problem of green cast. Could you please elaborate.

Thanks

Vrushali

My prints have a yellow cast to them. I am not sure whether it is only on my HP printer.

I did not understand how you solved the problem of green cast. Could you please elaborate.

She did an 'eyeball' reverse-profile. She had an image printed and adjusted her monitor colors (usually throught 'dislay properties>advanced') to match how the print looked. She skewed her display to match the output. So in the future her monitor will already be biased to the output.

That is not the best way to deal with the problem, but it is the easiest.

Better is using a monitor profiler to set a profile used in the driver.

Better still is to profile your output device--either yourself or via mail-away services. You print a 'target' image and a device measures the bias and then you use that profile when printing through Photoshop. It's complicated.