cross section - surface WTH ???

Andrew1

I got one more question in regards to generating shape from splines....,

I am getting some weired results...,

I there anything that I'm missing here...,

I got a rectangle 4 verts,

I got another smaller rectangle with 4 verts, I offset them by about 10",

now I wanna surface them to have a ply object...,

after I attach the 2 spline objects, I apply cross section mod.., then I apply surface mod..,

and finally collaps to patch then to poly I got a shape with 6 sides and looks the way I expect it to form.... however when I render it it appears as it was low level smoothed,

the corners that were supposed to be sharp do not appear that way....

I tried to edit the cross section spline options rollout by changing it to either linear, smooth, bezier and bezier corner... and I am getting the same result each time....

I can chamfer the edges and get what I want , but I mean after I select spline mode linear my final shape should render straight sharp corners not smoothed to shi*s...

could somone elaborate on this ???

thanks for the reply,

exactly, smoothing groups what it is but I thought when you specify linear surface

that would eliminate smoothing groups and present the final shape as unsmoothed...,

I need the specific size 3d trapezoid created from top and bottom surface / shape,

I dont wanna calculate angles and spent more time on something that should take a fraction of time... is it possible to use those modifiers to achive what I'm after or simply

do I have to model it from scratch....

I am trying to utilize shapes from 2d application like corel draw and convert them into 3 dimensional objects.

It does seem that it should take the smoothing of those surfaces from the vert properties but it doesnt. I think that must be a studiomax bug. It would have to be an extremely complex final shape to not be able to allocate smoothing groups manually quite quickly or do you have many unique ones to build? If you have any of the 2d shapes I wouldn't mind taking a couple to see if I can knock up a script to do what you want. It seems straightforward but usually there is a good reason why something doesn't work;)

Actually come to think about it, if the smoothing groups aren't working then you would never know if the linear cross section was working or not as the surface modifier creates a patch with specified steps. This means the interpolation of the vertical splines is controlled by the patch. If they are rectangles your autosmooth should work almost all the time

Edited by JonRashid