Lab Color Space

Crazy Homeless Guy

That book has some great reviews.

I fall into the category of only vaguely knowing what Lab is, but never actually tried to use it on anything. Then I watched this video.. http://vimeo.com/6015498

Which helped, though I am sure there is a lot more.

I am starting to venture deeper into more specific adjustment curves, but find it difficult to get the subtle changes I want with a complex RGB curve (~5.) After that the slightest wrong movement seems like it throws the whole thing off. I think I am trying to ask it to do to much.

I am still a bit timid about adjusting the individual RGB channels.

From what I can tell, learning to do curve color toning in Lab color space may be easier than mastering separate curve adjustments for the RGB channels. In Lab I would be able to do the lightness and color separately, therefor giving me more control of the subtly of color detail.

It looks as though it will also be greatly beneficial in controlling blow out when doing curves for tone and contrast.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

• Administrators

If you want to master curves, you should seriously check out the Photoshop Advanced class that we recorded a few weeks ago in Boston at Neoscape (Lon Grohs - Instructor). I sat through all 18 hours and he is a curves guru. The recordings will be online for sale in a few weeks. Sorry shameless plug, but he's got mad skillz.

If you want to master curves, you should seriously check out the Photoshop Advanced class that we recorded a few weeks ago in Boston at Neoscape (Lon Grohs - Instructor). I sat through all 18 hours and he is a curves guru. The recordings will be online for sale in a few weeks. Sorry shameless plug, but he's got mad skillz.

Sounds interesting. My immediate curiosity goes to the balance of focus in regards to 'rendering color correction' vs' photography color correction?' I have had the pleasure to hear Lon speak before, and he posses a good deal of interest in both ends.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy