XBR webinar recording posted

kenpimentel

'OH NO' was my thoughts also on the GUI. In my honest opinion, the most beautiful UI for 3ds max is the Expert mode, with no buttons what so ever. Real estate is very VERY important. From the look of things, you're just introducing more and more buttons spread all over and around the real estate.

Rather focus on how to get users to use expert mode quicker, and then a better way of loading up certain tool sets without having the user to go look for them (shortcuts). Currently I work most in expert mode and have assigned a shortcut to my command panel. So no sliding of the command panel (just hide and un-hide)

It shouldn't be on how pretty the GUI is (at all)

'OH NO' was my thoughts also on the GUI. In my honest opinion, the most beautiful UI for 3ds max is the Expert mode, with no buttons what so ever. Real estate is very VERY important. From the look of things, you're just introducing more and more buttons spread all over and around the real estate.

Rather focus on how to get users to use expert mode quicker, and then a better way of loading up certain tool sets without having the user to go look for them (shortcuts). Currently I work most in expert mode and have assigned a shortcut to my command panel. So no sliding of the command panel (just hide and un-hide)

It shouldn't be on how pretty the GUI is (at all)

We realize most seasoned Max users rely little on the menus and surrounding interface. Most expert modelers for example primarly only work with quad menus. The idea for XBR:UI is to keep this expert mode and enable more customized in canvas workflows with things like quad menus, caddies, or maybe marking menus.

it's hard to cover everything in only 60 minutes without completely melting your brain :)

Hi Shane

Thank you for coming onto CGA. Can I at least ask that you give an option at future installations on whether or not to install the new XBR:UI or Keep the trusted Current Max:UI. I just feel that maybe to much time and money is spent on a facelift.

Rather spend it on a new animation layer toolset similar to how After Effects layers and animation work???????? would that not be handy?

It's often much more work and risk to keep alive the legacy systems. when possible we do try to do this as we have over 600 plugins to maintain as well, but one of the goals of XBR is to reduce code bloat and not increase it. We already have multiple UI toolkits in the product today and much of this has led to the recent mess many are grumbling about. Hopefully if you move with us through this change it wont be destructive to what you love about the product.

I like the mind set of tool at hand when you need them, rather than tools at hand all the time. After a while I have come to love the caddies, once we worked out how to stop them jumping around. I like that they are compact, keep that concept going please.

One of the greates assets in the Max UI is the TAB'ed Command Panel, its worked from day one. I'd like to be able to dock other pannels into the Command Panel, as well as big able to dock them else were.

The ribbon could work really well, as long as it doesn't become cluttered or so big it takes up 2/3 of the screen.

jhv

Edited by Justin Hunt