Modeling existing terrain

ltravisjr

As a learning exercise, I am going to model an exterior view of my own house. However, before I even begin, I can tell the first challenge will be the fact that the house sits on a small hill with some varying elevations. Now, since I don't have surveying or gps equipment, how would I approach accurately modeling the terrain? It obviously doesn't have to be exact to the inch, but I would like it to be reasonably accurate. Accurately measuring the house itself is easy: I can just get a tape measure and have at it. But existing terrain...that is another matter. How do you all handle it?

Thanks,

Larry

USGS topo maps.

Get them from the USGS, in various formats, along with a hodge-podge collection of converters to DXF, of heightmap images that can be read in most modelers to generate terrains. Your best bet is is topo data.

A general-purpose place to start is:

GIS Depot

I have a CD with topo maps of the entire US, but its raster, and the contour intervals aren't as tight as I would like, but its a starting point. If all else fails, I can send you a JPEG of your area from that.

I appreciate the advice. I thought about topo maps also, and since I work for an engineering firm I can get access to them fairly easily. The only concern is that the contours wouldn't be close enough enough to describe the simple grade of my the half acre I am interested in. I will explore it though. As I said, it is just a personal project, so a little error won't kill me :)

-Larry