Projection Art

Bruce Hart

Hey guys,

late in 2009 my company had a 25th anniversary event at Customs House in Brisbane. We had seen examples of projection art on Youtube, and decided to have a go at it ourselves for the event. Most of the youtube examples we saw were on external facades, but our projection show was internal, with some reasonably detailed and curved geometry. We hired two large projectors that sat on a mezzanine level and they projected images in a crossover arrangement onto a double volume internal facade. The projections were perspective corrected so they appeared correct when viewed by the audience from the floor area. Our projections ranged from static room treatments through to animated 3D sequences. It was good fun to do, and something a bit different from the usual Arch Viz.

and

(shot on camera phone)

(sorry about the music on this one :) )

Late last year we were able to utilize the Customs House setup again to provide background graphics for a Rio Tinto annual shareholders meeting. Being a mining company, Rio requested a stylised mine experience, that featured the products they produce - coal, aluminium, bauxite - plus various branding and information graphics. Coal in particular is black of course, so this provided a challenge in representing it in a light projection show.

Some footage from that event is here:

My colleague Patrick Shirley was the brains behind the perspective correction process and a lot of cool After Effects work, and additional 2D/3D animation was produced by Anthony Rawson, myself and Justin Hunt. Projection equipment provided by Haycom

The Buchan Group Architects - Brisbane

http://www.buchan.com.au/

Haycom Staging

http://www.haycomstaging.com.au/

Rio Tinto

http://www.riotinto.com/

I'm still to watch yours, but last year we had a 2hr presentation from the company that does most of the projection work. It is absolutely mind blowing what they do. Their projections are linked up to motion sensors and a dynamic library so each individual person influences the final projection making it a totaly random non repetative event. I was sitting there eyes wide open thinking WTF!!!!!! It was just out of this world what they could do.

Amazing work!!

I try to do a bit of projection mapping during my free time. But on smaller objects, and more for fun. But I cannot achieve something with that level.

Can you explain a bit about your workflow? And about " ...the projections were perspective corrected... "

If your are not afraid of giving a little bit more details, you can pm me.

Thanks Paul.

yes it was great to try something a bit different. It's not every day you get to make a "wall of eyes" :). I personally had to dust off some rusty animation skills. I might mention that the only reason we got to try something like this was because of the downturn in work for us (and everyone else) at the end of 2009. We would never had the time to do this otherwise, but it was fantastic to give it a go. Thankfully this event has lead us to doing other projection displays in partnership with the equipment people we hired for the first show.

Stephane - sorry I won't be going into the details of how we did the perspective correction on here, but I'm sure there are many people on this forum who could work it out.