Start-Up funding possibilities

Jonathan

How does an arch-vis or 3d content provider start up in business? Im interested to hear your thoughts and experiences of possible funding avenues for start up, (if indeed there are any!). Perhaps someone has some experience with venture capital or angel investment? (although in this field perhaps not). Does revenue come from founders/co-founders or perhaps bringing in partners would been an option?

With an increasingly costly set-up requirement (software, hardware and animations ascendancy)) to stay, at least, alongside the game, how might new business's get a foot in the door and how much might this cost?

Hi Johnny,

Have you checked out Scottish Enterprise yet? - (http://bit.ly/gR6pDo) There might be some useful information there for you. I know when I started up a few years ago they offered a grant of up to £1000 for computer equipment but not sure if they still do this. However, they can be very useful in helping you get a business plan together so that you can get bank loans or investment to start up your new business if that's a route you would be wanting to look at.

I recently had a meeting with Business Link about starting up and got a lot of good inormation but as far as funding went, theres a grant which you can claim every 12months and amounts to either 30-60% of what you submit, and from his explanation this can consist of things like marketing, websites etc.

I asked specifically about computer equipment and software but was told theres nothing available. I dare say though that this can differ from one council to the next. It was still very worthwhile getting the guy out to talk through things with.

Thanks for your replies.

Craig - Yes I followed up the Scottish Enterprise avenue following your advice and it appears there is still help out there although I think it is very limited. I certainly intend to take it further when the time arises however Im currently researching this for a Masters submission relted to the arch-vis arena.

Jock - Thanks for your advice, Ill follow this up to in time. I remember Buisness Link from a while back, I had no idea they were still operating