Render times -too long - confused??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41948[/ATTACH]

Hi all I was wondering since this is my first Test Render with 3ds max and vray1.5.

why it is taking so long to render....

I left it to render overnight and when i came to check in the morning its still rendering , but estimated time is 10 hours???.....but it took 15 hours already...and still has not completed.

is it my RAM? or is it my vray settings?

any help welcome ...as i'm thinking its no hope for me if I try and use 3dsmax and vray for work purposes and have to wait 2 days for 1 render.

my system details are:

Dell Intel Xeon E5430 @ 2.66GHZ

4 Gig Ram

Nividia Quadro Fx1700

Windows XP SP3

well i see you are using the vray physical camera which you shouldn't unless you're comfortable with nearly all vray features and you have a decent background in photography. that's just asking for trouble. i also see that your Max depth is 1, which is a really bad thing and could be reason enough for extremely long renders. i dont' know why you would have touched that setting (System rollout) as most veterans don't even play with it.

i suggest returning everything to their default values and then looking at some of the free resources we have at CGschool (http://www.thecgschool.com/). There are free webinars that discuss some configurations you can try.

Memory is definitely not the issue. Memory is only used during prepass. Come render time it's all about raw processing power.

I agree with Brian, it's probably your materials and/or your VRay render settings. There's no way that your scene should be taking 25+ hours to render at 800x600.

E

do you think you could give me a suitable VRAY render setting for this?

I start all jobs with......

adaptive DMC 1/4

thresh .01

irradiance on low 30/20

LC @ 400 w/ .05 samples.

This is my quick test render settings for most scenes then I start increasing values based on the specific needs of the scene. Every scene's different so there is no single answer to your question.