mental ray interior fast setup

joske

Nakadate made a very fine setup in Brazil : http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6490

nothing to add on my account, looks great, i never tried Brazil myself... i'm sure it's a great renderer, and also very fast.

However a lot of people seem to complain that mental ray is so slow and hard to master :mad: : well... let's do the same for the mental ray users then right?

pls note: this is not an attempt to find out wich renderer is 'the best, the fastest..." pls do not go into that peoples... plenty of those threads around allready :rolleyes: so don't go that way ok? i'm sure all of the diff. solutions out their can do wonderfull stuff, and are very fast, so this is just a small test/proof that Mental Ray CAN be compared with the rest of them.

interiorfast.jpg

IMHO it looks very similar to the brazil version, no?

rendertime : 2 minutes on a pentium IV 2.8 gig 2Gddr

so compared to nakadate's Brazil version 5 min i would say mental ray can do the job fast. :cool:

see the max file attached

greetz,

phil

Hi joske :)

nice example!I'm quite new in 3d field but I decadet to give a test with this siene. the wall of the origanaly posted by U siene were planes. I change them with boxes.render time has encreased by 1 sec.swithcing between the two images U can see a slight differece...I can't say which image U like more but next time U render have this in mind ;)

p.s. this is not a critique to joske.His original idea is to give us all example for wat mr is caipable of.he is one of the people I owe my progress :).

I just wanna help people achieve better results!

thank U

no problem izrut,

great to have somebody mentioning those small differences.

i only see a slight diff. in the way the photons are filtered and gathered in your results, this should be because in my setup the walls and floor are the same mesh and in the box-wall example each wall and the floor are seperate objects or meshes.

it seems obvious to me that the photons that are casted on two meshes might have a different bounce than on one and the same mesh all around... no?

that might also explain the slight in-/decrease in rendertime... mabey there are less or more photons bounced to calculate?? I'm just guessing here, this is an explanation that comes first to mind...

mabey someone should try a Vray and Final render setup with this scene? it might be very helpfull to see the 4 most used renderers next to each other...

plane walls:

number of segments: 1x1x1

render time: 2min:11sec

number of segments: 50x50x50

render time: 3min:13sec

box walls:

boxes separated

render time: 2min:12sec

boxes attached

render time: 2min:11sec

p.s. enough MR testing :D ... time for V-ray, Brasil and FR

Glad you guys took a try at rendering the scene. A critique I have is the images from mr seem washed out and over-averaged--too little contrast. It is true the image at the end of the tutorial is a balance of a "decent" render in a short amount of time. It could be polished more with a few setting increases and a bit more render time. Anyway, good photon fun.

Cheers,

NN

yes nakadate, i tried to make the comparison fair.

I even overdid the final gathering : the render didn't need that much of it, went for the 'silky smooth' look i guess :)

It was a very quick test to finally see what Mray was capable off speedwise

I'm sure if it really mattered that the render time could even go lower for similar results, but in all fairness : didn't really spent any extra testing on the settings for that kind of thing.

don't worry jeff, just render in any way you wish, just don't make this thread a pointless discussion about wich render package is best or fastest without showing some renders as prove/example...

it's allways good to see other ways of doing stuff :)

However it was not the intentional idea from me : I just wanted to make a point that mental ray CAN be fast enough, unlike many others say that it ain't.

altough I must agree that the room for error might be alot smaller with mental ray.

Who am i to say what other folks can or can't do...?

I was confused by Izrut's post where he said "p.s. enough MR testing ... time for V-ray, Brasil and FR". But then I went back and read your original post. So, I wont post the other renders because I'm affraid it will turn this thread into a "which renderer is fastest" thread....and nobody wants another one of those.

Good job BTW on that setup, it rendered in 49 seconds on my machine.

Jeff

• 3 years later...